The latest updates about ATSU news, current events, research, and more.

Still Magazine
President’s Desk
Scholarly Activity
Museum of Osteopathic Medicine
Story Idea?

Story Idea?

Click here to attach a file

In memoriam

Les L. Barrickman, DO, ’82, Fairfield, Iowa, died May 10, 2018.


David L. Berg, DO, ’68, Chesterfield, Missouri, died July 4, 2018, at age 77. He was born July 24, 1940. He was a graduate of the University of Missouri and ATSU-KCOM. He had a family practice for many years and, after his retirement, was an emergency room physician at DePaul Hospital. He loved boating and was proud to be licensed as a captain by the Coast Guard. He also enjoyed traveling, especially to Germany where he was fluent in German, and was a lover of nature and all things living.

He was the beloved husband of JoAnn Berg (nee Maniscalco); the dear father of Karen (Rich) Rohrbach, Robin (Alan) Schmidt, and Julieann Berg; a loving grandfather to Chloe Rohrbach, Jonathon Schmidt, Evie Rohrbach, Michael Schmidt, and Mandy Mae Schmidt; brother to Bob (Vicki) Berg; uncle to Brian (Trisha) Berg; and cousin of Larry (Donna) Sage and their children Emily and Josh Prehm and Brianna And Ethan Prehm.


Donald G. Burns, DO, ’55, Middletown, Ohio, died June 28, 2018, at age 88. He was born in Hammersville, Ohio, on March 23, 1930, to J. Forrest and Ella (Leonard) Burns. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Middletown where he served as an elder and deacon and was on the Board of Trustees. Dr. Burns received exposure to the possibility of a medical career early on when he worked as an orderly at Middletown Hospital during the summer after he graduated from Kings Mill High School. He helped set fractures and worked in the ER as well. He studied for two years at Miami University and completed his undergraduate degree at Wilmington College. He went on to receive his osteopathic medicine degree from ATSU-KCOM.

After being in family practice for six years in Franklin, he decided to pursue an internal medicine residency. Soon after, he realized that an office practice was not for him, he preferred hospital consultation. He recalled that Dr. Bernard Fox suggested he consider pulmonary medicine as a specialty. He took a two-week course in Chicago and was hooked. At that time, pulmonary was just forming into a real specialty area, and as a result, formal medicine training was not readily available. Once again, Dr. Burns’ innovative thinking enabled him to realize his goal. He decided to set up his own five-year program to educate himself on pulmonary medicine. He took courses all over the globe and when he took the American College of Chest Physicians examination, he scored in the 95th percentile. Other accomplishments include serving as medical director of Respiratory Therapy for 31 years, and he was medical director of the sleep lab. He started the Pulmonary department, serving as medical director for 24 years. He served as chair of the Institutional Review Board from 1991 through 1999. In addition, he helped establish Grandview’s first pulmonary medicine fellowship in 1999. Dr. Burns’ hard work and dedication will long be a part of Grandview Medical Center. He was the first osteopathic physician in the U.S. to receive a fellowship from the American College of Chest Physicians.

Active in his retirement, Dr. Burns enjoyed painting and writing and even wrote his autobiography for his grandchildren. He and his wife, Carol, enjoyed spending summers on Drummond Island, Michigan, and visited often with their children and grandchildren. He practiced with Grandview Hospital since 1955 and retired in 2000.

He was preceded in death by his father, J. Forrest Burns, and mother, Ella Elizabeth Burns. He is survived by his wife, Carol (Dykes) Burns; two daughters, Beth (Michael) Susco and Denise (James) Johnson; nine grandchildren, Dustin (Melinda) Vincent, Amy (Jonathan) Hamilton, Brandon Johnson, Benjamin Johnson, Christopher (Amanda) Johnson, J. Matthew Johnson, Joseph Susco, Daniel Susco, and Anthony Susco; and great-grandchildren, Reilly, Stella, Olive, Penelope, Chloe, and Evan.


Billy T. Carpenter, DO, ’66, Rising Star, Texas, died Sept. 5, 2018, at age 87. He was born on July 13, 1931, in London, Texas, to the late Richard and Jimmie Shearer-Carpenter. He served in the U.S. Marines. He married Norma J. Turner in London, Texas. He was fondly known as Doc Carpenter and was a great country doctor in Rising Star for many years. He enjoyed life and had a great sense of humor. He touched so many lives through the years. He was deeply loved and will be dearly missed.

Dr. Carpenter is survived by his wife of 66 years, Norma J. Carpenter; daughters, Karla Allen and husband, Bo, and Jo Anne Paulk, DO, ’96, and husband, Mitch; sons, Jim Carpenter and wife, Paula, Bill W. Carpenter, DO, ’91, and wife, Camille, and Mike Brennan and wife, Inga; 18 grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; brothers, Jay Carpenter and wife, Elaine, Roy Carpenter and wife, Cheryl, and Jimmy Carpenter; sisters, Alice Ruth Allen and Barbara Stewart and husband, Ed; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and brother, Richard Carpenter.


Mary J. Carpi, AuD, ’09, Las Vegas, Nevada, died March 30, 2018, at age 66. She was born July 11, 1951, in Racine, Wisconsin, to Gordon and Josephine Wibbert. She was a doctor of audiology and worked in the pediatric field for Special Children’s Clinic, Nevada Early Intervention Services, and Clark County School District. She first traveled the world on Semester at Sea through Chapman College, which sparked a lifelong love for travel. She was an avid fan of all things Disney and Broadway musicals. She is survived by her husband, Dr. William Carpi; daughter, Melissa (Larry Ransom); son, Lee; daughter, Deborah; mother, Josephine Wibbert; and sisters, Marilyn, Cheryl, and Charlene.


Graham H. Chesnut, DO, ’59, Spearfish, South Dakota, died June 6, 2018, at age 91. He was born May 28, 1926, in Saginaw, Michigan. He spent his youth enjoying the beautiful outdoors and lake country with his parents, Howard and Bernice (Graham) Chesnut, and sisters, Joanne and Marilyn. After graduating from Marysville, Michigan, High school, he served in the U.S. Navy during WWII in the South Pacific. When the war ended, he was assigned to Peking, China, where he helped repatriate Japanese. Following the war, he attended the University of Michigan and Ohio Northern University, graduating as a pharmacist. His interest in medicine continued, and he attended ATSU-KCOM, graduating with a doctor of osteopathic medicine degree. He had a private medical practice in Auburn, Michigan, but his interest in the care of our nation’s veterans lead Dr. Chesnut to work for the Veterans Administration Hospital in Chillicothe, Ohio. He later did his residency in psychiatry at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas. After becoming a board-certified psychiatrist, he and his family moved to Ft. Meade, South Dakota, where he served as a staff psychiatrist at Fort Meade Veterans Administration Medical Center from 1974 until his retirement.

He married Joyce Churchill in 1948, and they were blessed with three children, a son, David, and twin daughters, Cinda and Linda. He married Alma Sansom Hutchins in 1971, in Topeka, KS, which added four more children to the family: Susan, Alan, Nancy and Jill.

His interest in flying began in his youth. He loved nothing better than sharing a good cup of airport coffee with his fellow pilots. He was active in the Civil Air Patrol. He was a lifelong member of the Shriners and served as president of the Naja Air Patrol and Naja Flying Aces. He and Alma loved their time with the Rapid City Shrine Club and were always at events. He especially loved riding his mini-scooter in formation with his fellow Shriners in the annual parades! He was active for more than 60 years with Masonic organizations, holding many offices and positions of leadership. He and Alma were lifelong members of the Sturgis Methodist Church, and he especially enjoyed the early morning Men’s Group breakfast, which he rarely missed. In addition, the Elk’s Camping Group and National Camping Travelers (the Masonic camping group) brought them much joy, friendship, and wonderful memories of nearly 50 years of camping and doing community service in the Black Hills. Another one of his many interests was working on electronics. He built his first radio as a teenager and belonged to the HAM radio group for more than 70 years. Dr. Chesnut was an independent and self-contained man, who never met a gadget he didn’t want to fix or build. To quote him: “You want to do something? Buy a book, read it, and accomplish the project.” He and Alma have spent many years researching genealogy, and this resulted in involvement in the Scot-Irish of the Black Hills organization. He and his wife traveled to Scotland and became official members of the Graham Clan. They were guests of the Duke of Montrose, a member of the Graham clan. One of his greatest honors was serving in the South Dakota National Guard. Rising to the rank of colonel, he served 20 years as a flight surgeon.

Survivors happy to share his life’s journey are his wife, Alma Chesnut; sons, Dr. David Chesnut (Ruth) and Alan Hutchins (Allison); daughters, Cinda Kesler, Linda Blackwell, Susan Maloney (Pete), and Dr. Nancy Babbitt (Steve); sister, Marilyn Litzenberger; and many grandchildren, cousins, nieces, and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; daughter, Jill Ann Chesnut Reddy; sister, Joanne Rozek; brothers-in-law, Carroll Meade, Louis Rozek, and David Litzenberger; son-in-law, Tom Kesler; and daughter-in-law, Susan Johnson Hutchins.


Ruth Chronister, Kirksville, Missouri, died July 27, 2018, at age 76. She was born in Timberlake, South Dakota, on May 12, 1942, to Leo and Mary (Hemberger) Schreiner. The family moved to Brookfield, Missouri, in 1947. She moved to Kirksville, Missouri, in 1975. She was employed at ATSU-KCOM since 1975. She was a secretary in the Psychiatric department for Harry S. Still and several other psychiatrists for many years. In 1987, she became the administrative assistant to the doctors in the Pharmacology department. She received several awards for her outstanding work and achievements throughout her career. She was a wealth of information, so helpful to others, new faculty and staff alike. She was well respected and loved by her co-workers and will be missed greatly by them all. Ruth enjoyed her job immensely, and asked when she would retire, her response would always be “I’m too old to retire. I need to be around people.”

She loved helping and being around people. She joined the VFW in 2000 and became a lifetime member in 2005. She immersed herself in helping veterans by serving as secretary of District 17 Auxiliary, where she had been Auxiliary Secretary since 2004 and District Secretary since 2010. She also helped with Tuesday night bingo, went Christmas shopping for veterans, and attended every convention, just to mention a few. She was a special lady to the veterans and will be greatly missed by those she served and volunteered with. She was also a member of Mary Immaculate Catholic Church of Kirksville.

She is survived by her significant other/best friend of 20 years, Arthur Heinold; three children, Geni Mahjoub; Matt and Sherri Gelvin; Christine and Michael Palan; two brothers, David and Anita Schreiner and Jerry and Jin Schreiner; seven grandchildren, Sarah and Chad Kulengosky, Maryam and Glenn Fraser, Jennifer and Brandon Baumgartner, Brock and Evan Gipson, Jake Gipson, Connor Gelvin, and Cody Gelvin; and four great-grandchildren, as well as nieces and nephews. She was a wonderful mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, and a friend to many. Her faith, enthusiasm, energy, organization, and volunteerism had a positive impact on so many people and the community.


Wayne C. Cole, DO, ’65, Providence, Kentucky, died April 17, 2017, at age 84. He was born June 10, 1932. He practiced medicine for 48 years at Cole Clinic. He was also a retired colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. Among his many lists of accomplishments, he served as mayor of Providence.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Herman Leslie Cole and Stella (Hancock) Cole; a son, David Cole; two brothers, Ray Cole and Rodney Cole; and a sister, Rose Glover. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Billie Cole; a son, Todd Cole (Elaine); two daughters, Kelly Cole, DO, ’94, and Kim Reusch (Ryan); nine grandchildren, Chrissy Chumley, Abbie Pennaman, Carlie Clark, Candie Outlaw, Lexie Cole, Will McCauley, and Reid, Kate, and Jack Reusch; nine great-grandchildren, Davi, Saydie, and Owen Outlaw, Cole Branson, Cooper Chumley, Carsen Ware, Colbie and Colton Clark, and Hudsyn McCauley.


James R. Dixon II, DO, ’93, Brewton, Alabama, died April 19, 2018, at age 55. He was born Feb. 22, 1963.

He was a native and lifelong resident of Brewton, Alabama. Dr. Dixon was a member of the Jay First Baptist Church and a 1981 graduate of Jay High School. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1993, and was a family doctor with a practice in Atmore, Alabama, with 24 years of service.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Samuel Pitts; grandparents, Dauphin and Annie Laurie Burgess; uncle, Ray Burgess; and father-in-law, Charlies Steve Bray. Dr. Dixon is survived by his parents, Lynn and Ann Burgess Pitts; father, James R. Dixon; wife, Mitzi Bray Dixon; two sons, James Richard Dixon III and James Henry Dixon; one daughter, Allison Page Dixon; one brother, Daniel Pitts; one sister, Naomi Pitts; mother-in-law, Carol Cecilia Bell Bray; brother and sister-in-law, Derek and Misty Bray; and nieces, Jordan and MaKenzie Bray.


Glenn R. Ellis, DO, MD, ’55, Fair Oaks, California, died May 18, 2018, at age 92. He is survived by his loving wife, Carol Lee Grossman Ellis; daughter and son, Lee Ann and Jeffrey Peters; grandchildren, Heather Marie and Matthew David Peters; great grandson, Lexington Carter Weaver. He was preceded in death by his mother, Mary Katherine Gillespie Ellis; father, Verl Rea Ellis; and daughter, Angela Rea Ellis Henson.

Dr. Ellis was born on Sept. 24, 1925. He graduated from Los Angeles High School. He had a bachelor’s degree in time & motion from Cambridge University. His DO was from ATSU-KCOM, another bachelor’s from Northwest Missouri State University in science and chemistry, where he graduated summa cum laude. His MD was from the University of Southern California. He studied surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. His first practice was in Craine, Missouri, where he was also the mayor and magistrate. He served as the hospital administrator in Waynesville, Missouri. He moved to Sacramento, California, and practiced there until his retirement in 1979. He was a proud veteran who served in World War II. He was a first lieutenant in the 8th Air Force, where he flew out of Bassingborn, England. He received a Purple Heart, the 8th Air Force Campaign Medal, Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, and EAME Medal with 3 Oakleaf Clusters.


Nicholas J. Gatto, DO, ’60, Warwick, New York, died Dec. 27, 2017, at age 86. He was the beloved husband of Irene (nee Polack) for 61 years; devoted father of Scott A. Gatto and his wife, Carol, Karen J. Pskowski and her husband, Thomas, Mark J. Gatto and his wife, Kathleen, and the late Dr. Keith J. Gatto; and dear brother of Vic. He was predeceased by Victor, Nancy, and Virgil. He was the cherished grandfather of Megan, Nicholas, Anthony, Kelsey, Frank, Carly, Christian, and Dominic and one great-grandson, Lucas.

He graduated as a pharmacist from St. John’s University and then was drafted into the U.S. Army from 1955-56. He then graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1960 and practiced family medicine and surgery from 1961 until his retirement in 1999. He was an avid artist and painter. He was a parishioner of Our Lady of Mercy R. C. Church, and later a parishioner of St. Steven’s the Martyr R. C. Church in Warwick, New York.


Philip Golding, DO, ’56, Boynton Beach, Florida, died June 28, 2018.


Bernard H. Green, DO, ’53, Flint, Michigan, died Oct. 18, 2012, at age 86. Dr. Green was born May 24, 1926, in New York, New York, to the late Joseph and Mary Green. Dr. Green served in the U.S. Army occupational forces immediately following World War II. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from NYU and received his medical degree from ATSU-KCOM. Dr. Green maintained a family practice in the Flint area for many years. Later in life, he served as a radiologist at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital. He married Mabel Johnson in1953, and she preceded him in death in 2010.

Surviving are children David Green and wife, Teena, Karen Green and husband, Jeffrey Ward, and Steven Green and wife, Jennifer Fradel, and grandchildren, Sarah, Noah, Sophie, Daniel, Ethan, Sam, and Jake.


Paul R. Gutheil, DO, ’66, Columbus, Ohio, died June 23, 2018, at age 78. He was born Jan. 5, 1940, in Columbus, Ohio, to the late Paul Albert and Thelma Delores (Harris) Gutheil. He was a graduate of Darby Township High School in 1958. After graduation, he attended Otterbein University graduating in 1962 with a bachelor of science in biology. In 1966, he received a doctor of osteopathic medicine degree from ATSU-KCOM.

After graduating, he entered the U.S. Army during Vietnam as chief of anesthesiology at a U.S. Army Hospital in Long Bein, Vietnam. He was the medical director for the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department for 13 years and was chair of the Department of Family Practice at Doctors Hospital for eight years. He was on the Advisory Board at Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, a lifetime member of the Ohio Osteopathic Association and American Osteopathic Association, and a member of the Ohio Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association for 23 years where he held multiple leadership roles. He was a member of local American Legion and Amvet’s. He was a 32nd Degreed Mason and an Aladdin Shrine member. He was also a member of St. John’s Lutheran Church, Grove City.

He was preceded in death by parents and a brother, Richard Gutheil. He was a loving husband, father, physician, and friend. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Jimilea S. (Wheeler); children, Kelli Lynn, James Paul (Marci), Paige Suzanne (Isaac), Brooke Alane, and Lauren Kay (Dan); and 11 loving grandchildren and one on the way; sister, Deborah Gutheil; many cousins; and several other beloved family members.


Michelle S. Hovorka, MS, ’09, Ronan, Montana, died May 26, 2018, at age 36. She was born Nov. 25, 1981, in Edmonds, Washington, the eldest child to Steven Reiter and Jill (Jesperson) Breeze. She grew up between Bothell, Everett, and Selah, Washington, most recently residing in Lebanon, Oregon. She was an excellent student, graduated from Selah High School in 2000, and then went on to graduate from University of Washington with a bachelor of science in microbiology. After graduating from the University of Washington, she married her high school boyfriend, Zach Hovorka, in 2005 and relocated with him several times to support his pursuit of becoming a doctor of osteopathic medicine. She earned her master’s degree in human anatomy from ATSU. Most recently, she taught anatomy at Western University of Health Science in Lebanon, Oregon.

She was a dedicated mother, a supportive big sister, and a brag-worthy daughter. Her parents taught her to love nature by taking her camping, hiking, canoeing, and tide poling; she carried on this tradition with her own daughter, taking her on adventure weekends and visits to numerous national parks. She loved the ocean since childhood; her favorite part about living in Oregon was taking her daughter on weekend trips to the beach. She also loved literature. Even as a child, she would devour a whole book in one sitting. Anyone who met her could see she was confident, capable, and intelligent. Those that knew her best saw her domestic, nurturing, and humorous side. She crammed so much living into her too short life.

She is survived by her full family including father and step-mother, Steve Reiter and Nadine Velasquez; mother and step-father, Jill and Jim Breeze; brother, Brian Reiter; sister, Andrea Reiter; husband, Zachary Hovorka, DO, ’11; daughter, Wren Hovorka; in-laws, Jim and Sue Hovorka; grandparent, Betty Jesperson; Nadine Velasquez’s two daughters and son; Jim Breeze’s sons; five aunts; five uncles; nine cousins, 11 second cousins, three nieces, and a nephew. She was preceded in death by grandparents, Harry and Inga Reiter and Les and Gladys Jesperson.


Howard H. Hunt, DO, ’57, Lewisburg, West Virginia, died Aug. 2, 2018, at age 84. He was born on Aug. 27, 1933, to Howard and Fern Hunt of Earlville, Iowa. He started his practice in Phoenix, Arizona, in 1957, and finished his medical career, which he loved, at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. His wife of 45 years, Ramona E. Hunt, went to be with the Lord just months before.

He is survived by four children, Heidi Jones, Heather Stevens, Bob Hunt, and Julie Hunt; five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, along with one sister, Pat Bunker.


Mona L. Klingler, AuD, ’02, Stow, Ohio, died April 16, 2018, at age 61. She was born on Dec. 3, 1956, in Barberton, Ohio. After a joyous, tomboyish childhood with many neighborhood friends on the west side of Barberton, Ohio, she graduated from Barberton High School in 1975 and went to work in the draperies department at Sears, Rolling Acres Mall, in Akron, Ohio. There she met her husband, Tom, the roving security guard who ensured zero theft in her department. She married Tom in 1981, received her master’s degree in audiology from the University of Akron the same year, and, after a clinical fellowship year at the Cleveland, Ohio, VA Hospital, started work at the Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center.

After several years in Cleveland, she took a local position at the Litchfield Rehabilitation Center in Akron. From there, in 1985 she accepted a faculty position in the Audiology department at the University of Akron, retiring after 30 years in 2015. Along the way, she received her clinical doctorate in audiology from ATSU-ASHS and achieved the rank of tenured associate professor at Akron. While at the University of Akron, she helped countless patients and inspired countless graduate students with her clinical instruction and her masterful classroom teaching. Nearly every Friday for 29 years, she volunteered as the staff audiologist at the Akron Craniofacial Center, one of the accomplishments that brought her the most satisfaction. She loved the kids at the center and worked there long enough to see some of them bring in their own kids for her help. She hauled countless graduate students from the university to Friday clinic to give them invaluable clinical experience.

In the middle of her career, Dr. Klingler cared for her widowed mother single-handedly for 14 years while working full time, running a household, and having two wonderful children, Jacob and Emily, the pride of her life. Emily and Jacob now must be content with their endless memories of a wonderful mom who was loving, dedicated, passionately supportive, and funny as a stitch. To this day, they continue to discover their special “Mom vocabulary” words like “rizzer” and “boover” don’t appear in the dictionary. Besides being a wonderful clinician, teacher, and mother, she was also a talented musician. Learning from her father, she enjoyed lifelong mastery of the piano, making brief diversions to the French horn in high school, and also the guitar, which she combined with her soprano voice to enchant Tom. She enjoyed many years of singing with the local Sto-Notes community choir, especially when they delivered their annual Christmas season set of performances she called “the nursing home circuit.” In her brief retirement, she finally got to seriously pursue her love of painting and studied, painted, and volunteered at the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center. The home she leaves behind is decorated with her stitchery from the 1980s and her award-winning watercolors of the past several years.

Dr. Klingler was preceded in death by her father and mother, Tom and Eva Shank. She is survived by husband, Tom; daughter, Emily; son, Jacob; sister, Sue Shank Tabler; brothers and sisters-in-law; and numerous nieces and nephews.


Larry C. Liebhart, DO, ’73, Madison, Ohio, died Aug. 15, 2018, at age 72. Born April 1, 1946, in Spring Valley, Illinois, he resided in Madison, Ohio from 1973 until 2006. He was a well-respected physician and surgeon in Madison during that time, referred to fondly by his patients as “Doc.” Dr. Liebhart graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1973, leading him to northeast Ohio and his internship at Richmond Heights General Hospital. He and several classmates all decided on Madison, and the now closed Northeastern Ohio General Hospital, as the community they wanted to serve in. He passed his general practice board certification in the early 1990s. He never stopped learning about medicine, reading medical journals, and pursuing advanced techniques and certifications.

Dr. Liebhart was predeceased by his mother, Sophie Marie Trahd (Cassassa Liebhart); father, Wayne Liebhart; and half-sister, Cheryl Trahd. Left to cherish his memory are his loving children, Jesse Liebhart, Rachael Liebhart Sholtis (Kyle), and Derek Liebhart. He is also survived by his twin brother, Jerry Liebhart, and half-sisters, Nickie Lucas and Laurie Feld. He leaves behind many nieces and nephews. His memory will be remembered also by Heather Staley and ex-wife, Dorene Ross (Spear Liebhart), along with both of their families.


Bertram H. Marx, DO, ’54, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, died Oct. 6, 2017.


John J. Millin, DO, ’58, Plant City, Florida, died June 20, 2018, at age 88. Born in Richmond Hill, New York, on July 5, 1929, he grew up in South Ozone Park, New York, as the son of the late Samuel and Rena Santagata Millin. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Margaret Mignon McCurdy Millin; daughter, Patricia Millin; son, Dr. Michael Millin; siblings, Robert Millin and Anne Schrage; grandchildren, Sarah, Katherine, and Meredith; and great-grandchildren, Serenity, Nicholas, Mignon, and Rylynn. He was predeceased by his son, John Jr., and two brothers, Samuel Millin and Thomas Millin.

Dr. Millin served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and Army of Occupational of Germany. He graduated from Kirksville State Teachers College and taught high school science for a year. After graduating from ATSU-KCOM in 1958, he practiced medicine for nearly 40 years. The last years of his practice were spent in the Army again and then with Veterans Affairs, earning the rank of lieutenant colonel.


Mary E. Mock, Mobile, Alabama, died May 28, 2018, at age 82. A native of Joplin, Missouri, formerly of Kirksville, Missouri, and current resident of Mobile, she was an avid bridge player, a gracious hostess, and a phenomenal cook.

She is survived by her loving husband, Dr. Orin B. Mock, professor emeritus, anatomy; daughters, Amy Karau (Fred), Matilda Small (Ben Caylor), and Emily Chasteen (Dan Roberts); grandchildren, Zach Small, Travis Small, Elizabeth Chasteen, and Drew Schreiber; nephew, Kit Wedemeyer (Martha); nieces, Becky Eggers (Tom) and Susan Elizabeth Jeffries.


Kevin A. Murphy, DO, ’78, Auburn Hills, Michigan, died Aug. 4, 2018, at age 67. Dr. Murphy was born to John E. Murphy Jr., DO, ’52, and Charlotte A. Murphy in Dayton, Ohio, on July 18, 1951. Dr. Murphy is survived by Charlotte S. Murphy; their children, son Shawn Murphy and daughter-in-law Marcella Kim, daughter Shannon Cooper and son-in-law Steve Cooper, daughter Katie Murphy, and daughter Molly Murphy and son-in-law Cesar Cancino; his two grandchildren, Hannah and Jaxon Cooper; his granddog, Louie; and numerous other extended family and friends.

Dr. Murphy graduated from Wittenberg University before attending ATSU-KCOM. He opened his first practice in Poca, West Virginia, in 1980 and served the community for more than 30 years. He dedicated his life to helping and healing the people of Putnam County. He served as Putnam County health director, Putnam County coroner, Putnam County EMS director, chief of staff for Putnam General Hospital, an adjunct professor of general practice with the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, and staff physician for West Virginia State University. He was affiliated with both Putnam General Hospital and Thomas Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Murphy began coaching soccer in the mid-1980s with the Great Teays soccer team. He was instrumental in creating the Winfield Middle School soccer team, where he served as coach for several years. He also coached several girls’ travel soccer teams, where he helped the sport gain acceptance throughout the state. He loved coaching his own children and treated every one of his players like one of his own. Dr. Murphy was anything but ordinary. He was a goofy, charismatic, and loving father. He always knew how to make others laugh with his tall tales. He loved to fish, golf, and travel (especially to Canada).


Dorothy H. Neff, DO, ’48, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, died May 7, 2018, at age 95. Born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, she was the daughter of the late Harry Boyd and Emma Hahn Neff and the wife of the late Dr. George H. Hoerner, who died in 2007. She was a graduate of J.P. McCaskey High School and in 1942 attended F&M and Elizabethtown College. She received her degree in Osteopathic Medicine from ATSU-KCOM and started her family practice in Lancaster in 1949 before retiring after 45 years of service. In addition to her family practice, she also owned and operated Neff’s Taxi Service for 20 years, founded in 1915 by her father, H.B. Neff. She loved gardening, classical music, traveling with her husband around the world, and dancing at the Elks. Affectionately, she had an enduring love of animals, in particular stray cats and dogs, which she welcomed into her home.

She is survived by two stepdaughters, Joan Les and Connie McMullen. She was preceded in death by her stepbrother, Raymond Neff.


R.C. “John” Pearson, DO, ’55, Woodland, Washington, died April 3, 2018, at age 93. He was born Jan. 6, 1925, to Floyd and Hattie Pearson in Everett, Washington, one of 10 siblings. He attended Everett High School and entered the U.S. Navy at age 17, after blithely and unassumingly concealing his true age. This young rapscallion served nearly four years as a Navy medic. As a medic, his Naval ship followed and assisted Marine ships to care for wounded and dying Marines. One of these Marine ships included the battalion that raised an American flag on Mt. Suribachi on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan (he particularly loved to tell people that the iconic Mt. Suribachi photo was staged). He was discharged from the Navy on his 21st birthday, which he later stated was his “best birthday present ever.”

After his military service, he married wife Gertrude “Trudy” in 1947. At this time, he very sensibly decided that professional softball would provide a stable and practical career. He followed this dream for three years, but in 1951, decided his medical acumen was more impressive than his fastball, and pursued medical school in Kirksville, Missouri. During this time, he and wife Trudy gave birth to daughters Debbie and Rhonda. He opened his first doctor’s office in 1956, in Federal Way, Washington, and practiced there for 12 years, before relocating and opening a practice in Woodland, Washington.

In 1968, moving to Woodland, Washington proved to be a challenge of its own. That winter was particularly snowy, and the family endured days without electricity, which tragically forced the family to retrieve ketchup and mustard from under the creek bridge that had been stored there the previous summer to keep it cold for picnics and other family fun. Unable to get down the mountain, food stores getting low, he wanted mustard with his hot dogs and hamburgers that his wife was cooking on the old wood stove and was willing to wade through the deep snow to get it. Luckily, all the condiments persisted through the cold winter and provided deliciousness to summer barbecues. Love and family were the themes of Terreno Madera, his stately Woodland property. Many parties, barbecues, and poolside gatherings were hosted there. He also owned many racehorses throughout the years, which were born and bred on this property; horseracing was a passion and a source of great pride for him. He loved taking his family and friends to Portland Meadows to delight in the lucrative grace that is horseracing. Many guests enjoyed the festive atmosphere and fiscal advantages afforded by a day at the track.

Grandchildren were a joy for him; he had three by 1981. Tragically in 1982, wife Trudy died very unexpectedly, leaving the family heartbroken. Fortunately, Dr. Pearson had the strength and love of family to help guide him through this devastating time, and in 1985 married Sofia. Over the next 20 years, four additional grandchildren were born, as well as a growing crop of great-grandchildren. Everyone who knew him, knew he loved babies; the regular addition of toothless, infantile family members soothed out the hurt from Trudy and allowed him to live very peacefully and proudly in his golden years. He was extremely proud. He loved Just-for-Men, and it took a long time before he reconciled with his receding hairline. He nearly rivaled Liberace in the bling department. What made him the proudest was his family. He built his entire life for his family to enjoy, and it was an extraordinary life he built.

He was preceded in death by wife, Gertrude (Trudy); siblings, Armand, Marvene, Peggie, Gaylord, Beryl, Virginia, Gene, Derrald, and Doyle; daughter, Rhonda; and grandson, Jeffrey Upkes. He is survived by daughter, Deborah Bailey (Bill); son, John; daughter, Tamara Flatz; and grandchildren, Rick (Karen) Bartlett, T.J. (Megan) Orthmeyer, Brandon and Derek Berezo, John “Charlie” Pearson, and Miranda Flatz.


Robert P. Poetz, DO, ’63, Chesterfield, Missouri, died April 10, 2018. He was the son of the late Marie Meyer and Paul Poetz and brother to Rita (Irv) Haislar and Rev. Donald Poetz. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Mary Jean Poetz, and their their children, Lisa, Paul, Teresa, Amy, Alexandria, Devin, and Ashley. He was preceded in death by his son, Douglas.

Dr. Poetz practiced family medicine in North St. Louis County for 55 years. He trained multiple young physicians during this time. At the end of his life, he chose to give back by donating his body to St. Louis University School of Medicine.


Steven Reichenbach, AuD, ’07, Murrieta, California, died Jan. 6, 2015.


Kevin L. Rhodes, DO, Kirksville, Missouri, died June 18, 2018, at age 45. Born Feb. 23, 1973, in Hannibal, Mo., he was the son of Michael Lee and Deborah Sue (Engle) Rhodes, who survive. He is also survived by one brother, Steve Rhodes and his wife, Lisa Renze-Rhodes; one sister, Kristi Rhodes; a grandmother, Lillian Engle; an uncle, Pat Rhodes and his wife, Terry; an aunt, Colleen Jones and her husband, Rick; and two cousins, Bryan Jones and his wife, Christina, and Nathan Jones. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Don and Doris Rhodes and Lloyd Engle.

Dr. Rhodes was family focused and took great delight in spending time with his loved ones on family vacations, golf outings, and holidays and other special occasions. He was a dedicated internal medicine physician at Northeast Regional Medical Group in Kirksville where he worked largely with elderly patients for most of the past decade. In addition to his practice, Dr. Rhodes taught at ATSU-KCOM where he was an assistant professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, and he taught resident physicians.

He earned a fellowship with the American College of Osteopathic Internists in 2010, was board certified with the American College of Osteopathic Internists in 2003, and trained in diagnostic endoscopy and wound clinic procedures. He earned his medical school degree at the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences in 2000. He was a 1995 graduate of Northwest Missouri State University and a 1991 graduate of Mark Twain High School.


Spencer Schaeffer, DO, ’69, Natick, Massachusetts, died July 9, 2018, at age 79. He was born July 27, 1938, in Brooklyn, New York, to Elsa and Philip Schaeffer. His team was the Ebbets Field Brooklyn Dodgers. His Brooklyn roots were strong with existing friendships that go back 77 years. He loved music from classical to rock and roll, but Simon and Garfunkel meant home to him.

He started reading at age 2 and never stopped. He was a prolific reader of novels, news, medical journals, poetry, and articles about science and osteopathy. He was always seeking better ways to serve his patients. He was a lifelong learner, and he loved teaching. Sharing knowledge was essential to him. One of his specialties was osteopathic cranial manipulation, which transformed the lives of many patients. As one patient wrote in a thank you, “After my head injury, you put Humpty Dumpty back together again and returned me to work and life again.” Patients were the center of his universe while he was with them.

He relished the puzzle of diagnosing and the joy of treating and helping people. He was a Scrabble master and New York Times Crossword Puzzle enthusiast, which he enjoyed doing with others, sharing the solving fun. As friend said, “A brilliant person that didn’t need to prove his genius.” Another added, “He takes the art, appreciation, and joy of eating good food to new heights. I don’t know anyone with whom I’d rather share a meal.” Known for his quick wit and ability to find the humor in life and appreciate it with a full belly laugh, he was a steadfast and generous friend. For him, seeing new places, eating new foods, and exploring new cultures was a joy, not to be missed.

He graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1969 and completed an internship in Dayton, Ohio, in 1969-70. He had a private practice in the greater Boston area from 1970 with general practice and then specializing in osteopathic manipulative medicine from 1981-2018. He held the following positions: faculty, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine; adjunct faculty, Sutherland Teaching Association; past president of the New England Academy of Osteopathy; Cranial Academy Board of Examiners Certification of Competency; lecturer, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in the Temroromandibular Joint Program. Memberships included American Osteopathic Association, American Academy of Osteopathy, Osteopathic Cranial Academy, and Massachusetts Osteopathic Society.

He is survived by the love of his life for 45 years, his wife, Lydia, and son, Benjamin. He is also survived by son, Andrew; daughters, Stephanie Schaeffer and Patricia Schaeffer Straub; two grandsons; and one granddaughter. Dr. Schaeffer also leaves behind his brother, Bruce, and his wife, Susan, and niece, Sara.


Thomas F. Sheffer, DO, ’51, Schaumburg, Illinois, died June 14, 2018, at age 92. Dr. Sheffer was born June 29, 1925, in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, to Horace M. and Myrl Fox Sheffer. He was the second of the four Sheffer children: Frank was the eldest, and Harry came after him. Both are deceased. His youngest sibling, Carolyn Fondrk, survives him.

He was raised in western Pennsylvania, and it was while living in Darlington that he fell in love with Frances McGaffick at a church event when she was 14 and he was 16. He graduated from Darlington High School in 1943 and eventually graduated from Geneva College in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. His studies were interrupted when he was drafted by the U.S. Army in May 1945. He was deployed to the Pacific theatre during World War II, spending time in the Philippines and Japan before returning to the U.S. in October 1946.

He went on to study medicine at ATSU-KCOM, where he received his doctorate in 1951. He married his high school sweetheart, Fran, on Jan. 25, 1950, as soon as she graduated from nurse’s training. While doing his internship in Grove City, Pennsylvania, their first child, Gregory Thomas, was born. They moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in 1952, where he opened a family medical practice in association with the Las Olas Hospital. Their daughters were born there: Becky in 1953, Karen in 1954, and Sherry in 1960. While in Florida, he was active in the Grace Brethren Church, the local Youth for Christ club and the Optimist Club. It was in 1977 that he was recruited by the U.S. Air Force, where he proudly served until his retirement as a full-bird colonel in 1993. He served at Moody AFB (Valdosta, Georgia), Tinker AFB (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma), Reese AFB (Lubbock, Texas), and Keesler AFB (Biloxi, Mississippi). He often said it was one of the best decisions he ever made. But, by far the very best decision was placing his faith in Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior in 1968 at age 43. Besides being very active in his local church (teaching Sunday School, going on medical missions trips or helping at the rescue mission), he was also a member of Gideons International.

He is survived by his devoted wife (of 68 years), Fran. If ever there was an example of a beautiful marriage, it was theirs. He is also survived by his children and their spouses: Greg (Mariellen) Sheffer and their nine children, Becky (Kent) Good, Karen (Keith) Riffel and their six children, and Sherry (James) Brady and their two children. Finally, he is survived by 21 great-grandchildren (and counting). After spending most of their retirement years in Oklahoma, they moved to Friendship Village in Schaumburg, Illinois, in 2013 to be closer to family and greatly enjoyed being part of that community and the Bethel Baptist Church.


James D. “Don” Smith, DO, ’70, Kirksville, Missouri, died April 20, 2018, at age 77. The son of the late James A. Smith and Mary Lou Laws Smith, was born Sept. 26, 1940, in California. He is also preceded in death by his sister-in-law, Carol Faye Smith. He is survived by two brothers, Paul Smith and Tom Smith (Linda Smith); his children, Serece Sumners (Peter Sumners) and Nathan Smith (Shalini Smith); grandchildren, Peter and Grant Sumners and Samuel and Sophia Smith, as well as many nieces and nephews.

Dr. Smith was a 1958 graduate of Ravanna High School in Ravanna, Missouri, as well as Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Missouri, and ATSU-KCOM in 1970. He worked as a physician, proudly healing residents of northeast Missouri for more than 40 years including making house calls until the day he retired.

He loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting, making people laugh, motorcycles, his lifelong gun collection, and spending time with family and grandkids. He was an active member of many organizations. Some of his favorites were Deputy Sheriff of Adair County, Shrine Club, Ducks Unlimited, various community and hospital and peer review boards, National Rifle Association, city clerk of Princeton, Missouri, and Missouri Department of Conservation.


Wallace B. Snowfleet, DO, ’56, Muskegon, Michigan, died May 25, 2018, at age 95. Dr. Snowfleet was born March 30, 1923, in Muskegon to Jess and Peggy (Hazekamp) Snowfleet. He served our country in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was training to be a rescue plane pilot for those shot down in the ocean. After returning home, he embarked on his journey into the medical field. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM and went on to become an osteopathic doctor. He had a general practice for 17 years and worked with Veterans Affairs for another 17 years, retiring in 1988. On Sept. 15, 1975, he married the former Carol Marie Beauvais, and she survives him. They shared a passion for sailing that they enjoyed for many years. He was a member of the Muskegon Osteopathic Physicians as well as the Muskegon Seventh Day Adventist Church, where he had served as a deacon.

In addition to Carol, his wife of 42 years, he is survived by his children, Scott Snowfleet, Holly Cassel, Bart (Phu Anh Le) Snowfleet, Donald (Julie) Seaman, and Nancy Seaman; six grandchildren, Alyson, Jesse, Daisha, Meagan, Jordan, and Bailey; three great-grandchildren, Corbin, Demitri, and Kaiya; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; his former wife, Patricia Lynn VanBeukering; and his brother, Jim Snowfleet.


Timothy M. Thompson, DO, ’91, St. Louis, Missouri, died Aug. 9, 2018, at age 62. He was welcomed into the rollicking household of parents Charlotte Hanson Thompson and Morris Milholland Thompson (president of ATSU-KCOM from 1943-73) and four siblings on Oct. 30, 1955, in Kirksville, Missouri. Their maternal aunt, Helen Darnell, and her daughter, Linda Darnell, resided with them for a time and remained quite close. Tragically, they lost their mother in 1963. Their father later married Martha Jane Herboth, and the family immediately expanded with two more sisters.

Dr. Thompson attended Kirksville Public Schools and Missouri Military Academy, graduating Kirksville Senior High School in 1974 before joining the U.S. Navy where he served proudly as a medical corpsman. After the Navy, Titan Oil recruited him as a medic for off-shore oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. During this time, he attended the University of Southwestern Louisiana. His quality care, work ethic, and charisma earned him steady promotions leading him to head the Department of Human Resources. He then turned his years in the medical field to the pursuit of his real dream to become a physician. He attended Northeast Missouri State University (Truman State University) before attending ATSU-KCOM where he earned his doctor in osteopathic medicine degree in 1991. He completed his internship and residency at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital in Michigan, attaining certification in emergency medicine in 1997. In 1998, he relocated to St. Louis where he found the home that suited him perfectly, both professionally and personally. He served several hospitals and organizations in the St. Louis area, and most recently joined Barnes Healthcare Management. His patients loved him, and he enjoyed the opportunity to build relationships with them, which was a welcome contrast to the nature of emergency care.

Dr. Thompson treasured his hometown friends and a myriad of friends from all over the world. His varied interests afforded him this blessing. One of his favorite pastimes was riding his Harley, not only in the St. Louis area but also throughout the USA. He was an ardent Cardinals and Blues fan and supported the Rams with enthusiasm. His colorful fishing stories from Costa Rica and adventures in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, are legend. Friends might agree his golf escapades are also noteworthy.

He was confirmed in the Episcopal church in Kirksville and attended St. Timothy’s in Creve Coeur. He supported and served several charities and professional organizations and was proud to be a veteran and a life member of the Harley Owners Group. He loved his family. The blended nature of his family did not hamper close relationships with his six siblings. Neither time nor distance dimmed or diminished the importance to him of each one. Though he himself had no children, he cherished his nieces and nephews. They will remember his genuine interest and commitment to them for the rest of their lives.

Surviving him are his siblings, Martha (Richard G.) Andersen, S.F. Bud (Cindy) Thompson, Helen Laughery, and Chelsea (Glenn) Berry; cousin, Linda Darnell Dripps; nieces, Chandrika Collins, Brenda Weinke, Kelly Frohbose, Martha Christine Laughery, Sarah McAuley, Shelley Henderson, and Laura Andersen; nephews, Scott Henderson, Joel Andersen, Jeff Meyer, and Stephen Meyer; grand-nieces, Tesla Anne Henderson, Zoe Greiner, Stella McAuley, Sadie McAuley, Jaclyn Weinke, Janelle Weinke, Anne Garland Free, and Allison Winstead; and grand-nephews, Jacob Greiner, Nathan Greiner, Chase Standen, Boston Collins, Branden Weinke, and Noah Andersen. Many wonderful cousins will miss him as well. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, mother Charlotte, stepmother Martha Jane, father Morris, sisters Heidi Herboth Palmer and Sydney Thompson Henderson.

R. Stuart Young, DO, ’61, Harbor Beach, Michigan, died July 28, 2018, at age 82. He was born on Sept. 14, 1935, in Alpena, to the late Roy and Mary Alice (Curtright) Young. He is a graduate of Alma College, and ATSU-KCOM. He and Michela Wilcox were united in marriage on Aug. 25, 1957, in West Branch. She preceded him in death on Aug. 3, 1975. He then married Doris Kleinknecht on Feb. 11, 1976, in Harbor Beach. Doris preceded him in death on March 28, 2008.

Dr. Young continued his father’s medical practice, joining him in 1961 in Harbor Beach, and practiced for more than 30 years. He was a Huron County Deputy Medical Examiner for several years. He enjoyed sailing and camping in his leisure time, word puzzles, whittling with woodcarvings, and was a drummer in the Cattail Bay Muskrats Band for many years. He was a member of the Michigan Osteopathic Association. He loved his Pomeranian dogs. He is survived by his children, Kathy (Darren) Bonathan, Kurt (Marcia) Young, and Karen (Tim) McPherson; eight grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.


Melvyn Ziegler, DO, ’63, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, died Jan. 16, 2018, at age 79. He is survived by his wife and soulmate of 56 years, Phyllis; son, Kyle (Dina); daughters, Kim (Dwight) and Alyssa (Gary); and five granddaughters who brought him so much joy, Janie, Carli, Dani, Heather, and Zoe.

A 29-year kidney recipient, he lived every day with gratitude, compassion, humor, and love, and he will be greatly missed by all whose lives he touched.





Never miss out—get the feed today!