The latest updates about ATSU news, current events, research, and more.

Still Magazine
President’s Desk
Scholarly Activity
Museum of Osteopathic Medicine
Story Idea?

Story Idea?

Click here to attach a file

In memoriam

David L. Bruce, DO, ’62, Corpus Christi, Texas, died March 12, 2018, at age 85. He was born in Harlingen, Texas, to James Oran and Vera Louise Ward Bruce. He graduated from Corpus Christi High School in 1949. He then went on to pursue his education at the University of Texas at Austin. After his father suddenly passed away, Dr. Bruce heard a new calling to become a doctor. He attended medical school at ATSU-KCOM.

Dr. Bruce married the love of his life, Jeri Lewis, in 1949, and the pair remained happily married for 61 years, raising four children, nine grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. He was a well-loved physician by many people for more than 25 years. After a brief retirement, he returned to the medical field practicing occupational medicine in Alice, Texas, from 1992-2016. Dr. Bruce was very involved in his community for many years. He served on the Calallen School Board for more than 16 years, and he served as president for 10 of those years. He enjoyed coaching many little league teams. He was very involved with the Calallen Booster Club and could be spotted frequently at sporting events. He also served as chief of staff at Corpus Christi Osteopathic Hospital. He and other local doctors flew to Guatemala on a humanitarian mission to help after the earthquake of 1976. After Hurricane Celia, he was stitching up people in front of headlights. He was always willing to help anyone in need at any hour of the day.

Dr. Bruce loved golfing, and he and Jeri shared the love of flying planes. If he wasn’t on the golf course or in the air, he would be on the water. He had a salt-water soul, and he was an amazing fisherman. In his later years, he enjoyed restoring old cars with his good friends. One of his greatest pleasures came in spending time with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Whether taking them fishing, teaching them about boats, working on cars, or going to all their events, he loved spending time with them. Dr. Bruce enjoyed seeing all his old patients and friends at local restaurants and hearing all the old stories. He was a one-of-a-kind man and will be greatly missed.

Dr. Bruce was preceded in death by his loving wife, Jeri, and his sons, Davie Jr. and Jimmy. He is survived by his daughter-in-law, Linda Bruce; grandchildren, David III and Amanda (Joe) Ensey; great-grandchildren, Maya Wood and Jonas Molina; daughter-in-law, Vicki Bruce; grandchild, Brandy (Jeff) Stehle; great-grandchild, Landry; grandchild, Misty (Tim) Bennett; great-grandchildren, Rhett, Rhys, and Bryn; grandchild, Caydee (Sean) Thompson; great-grandchildren, Ana, James, and Julia; son, Thad Wayne Bruce; grandchildren, Michael (Hazel) Bruce; great-grandchildren, Mia, Diana, Jasmine, and Christy Leahy; daughter, Tami (Andy) Romero; grandchildren, Drew Romero and Halle Romero; and like family, Paul and Jan Mostella, Bryan Mostella and Misty Drumright, and Jim and Diane Chenault.


Michael J. Chase, DO, ’05, Eureka, Montana, died Jan. 9, 2018, at age 48. He was born April 29, 1969, in Great Falls to Laynn and Reggie Chase. He grew up in Lewistown, where he gained his love of the great outdoors. After graduating from Fergus High School in 1987, he attended Montana State University, Bozeman, studying mechanical engineering and was a member of the U.S. Army ROTC program. Following college, he served in the Army at Fort Carson, Colorado, and then went into the private sector of engineering in Colorado Springs.

Dr. Chase had much bigger dreams, which included becoming a doctor. He once again joined the military through the Air Force ROTC and attended ATSU-KCOM, earning his medical degree and fulfilling his dream. There, he met his wife, Dianna Chase, DO, ’06, and together they have four beautiful children. He served the people for many years at Scott Air Force Base in St. Louis before moving with his family to Eureka to continue practicing medicine.

He loved spending time in the mountains “going to church” as he referred to it, because it was there he felt the most spiritual and felt the presence of God the most. He spent countless hours backpacking throughout the mountains of northwest Montana and skiing with his children at Whitefish Mountain. He considered this one of his greatest pleasures in life. His love for music and the band Pearl Jam was well known.

Dr. Chase leaves behind his wife, Dianna; their children, Hannah, Joey, Brandon, and Madison Rose; his parents, Laynn and Reggie Chase; brothers, Curt and his wife, Jane, and Randy and his wife, Lynda; as well as numerous nieces, nephews, family members, and friends.


Joseph S. Falkowski, DO, ’70, Debary, Florida, died Jan. 10, 2018, at age 75. He was born to Stephen and Lillian Falkowski on Aug. 29, 1942, in Elizabeth, New Jersey. He grew up with his brother, Stephen, and attended St. Adalbert School and St. Mary’s High School. He later moved and graduated from Toms River High School, Toms River, New Jersey. Upon graduation, he attended Monmouth College and earned his medical degree from ATSU-KCOM. He married Felicia V. Salvest, Esq., on July 3, 1971, and the couple had two children.

Dr. Falkowski was a partner at Cedarbridge Medical Group from 1972 until his retirement in 2014. He was also a police surgeon for Brick Township in the 80s and frequently made house calls for the sick and elderly in his community. He was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed camping, fishing, hiking, and hunting. He had a great sense of humor and was known for putting smiles on the faces of friends and family. His most treasured moments were times spent with his grandchildren.

Dr. Falkowski is survived by his wife, Felicia; daughter and son-in-law, Caroline and Dominick Coppola; son and daughter-in-law, Peter and Tracy Falkowski; his brother, Stephen and family; and five grandchildren, Emily, Gabriella, Nicholas, Joanna, and Giana.


Damon B. Fox, AuD, ’15, Salt Lake City, Utah, died Dec. 17, 2017, at age 46. He was born to Brent and Patricia Fox on Feb. 5, 1971, in Provo, Utah. He was educated in Lehi and graduated from Lehi High School in 1989. Dr. Fox graduated from the University of Utah in 1996 with a BS degree in speech and hearing science and in 1998 with a master’s degree in audiology. He earned a clinical doctorate from ATSU-ASHS in 2015. He loved his profession and practiced for 21 years with his dad at Audiology Associates of Holladay. He was trusted and respected by his patients and associates.

Dr. Fox loved the outdoors, especially exploring the desert in his jeep. His favorite place was Cathedral Valley and driving with music, dust, and sunshine. He loved family trips to Lake Powell with his siblings, nieces, and nephews. He loved the Salt Lake Bees games, his ferrets, and being “Uncle D” to his family. He had a great passion for music and had many loyal friends who shared this interest, and they enjoyed going to shows and concerts together.

He is survived by his parents; siblings, Allyson (Ryan) Reed, Cordell (Amy) Fox, Nichole (Ryan) Beck, Trisha (Tyler) Sedgwick, and McKay Fox; and many extended family members. He is preceded in death by his grandparents, Calvin and Marian Fox and Howard and Beth Brown.


Charles A. Gard, DO, ’54, Lake Worth, Florida, died Jan. 9, 2018, at age 92. He was born Dec. 22, 1925. He was the beloved husband of Phyllis Ann Gard. He will be dearly missed by his wife, Phyllis, who first met him in 1956, when she went to his office in Lakeview, Ohio. They were married a short time later and moved to Florida in 1963. Together, they had three children, Patience Nelson (Jim Nelson), John Gard (Ginette Nadeau), and Charles Gard II (Wendy George) and adopted three children, Sherry Gard (predeceased), Richard Gard, and David Gard. He is survived by 12 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.

Before he attend medical school, Dr. Gard served in the U.S. Army during World War II as a surgical medic. After which, he attended ATSU-KCOM and began his medical practice in 1954. He will be missed by the many patients he cared for during his 63 years of practice as a family physician, both in Ohio and in Florida. His grandson, Bryan Gard, PA-C, will continue his practice in Lake Worth. He was a member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church and supported numerous charities and ministries throughout his life.


George K. Gardner Jr., DO, ’70, Scarborough, Maine, died Jan. 1, 2018, at age 73. He was born April 23, 1944, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Raised by his parents, George and Virginia Gardner, he was an older brother to his sister, Betty Osman. After graduating from Susquehanna Township High School in 1962, Dr. Gardner earned a bachelor of science at Lebanon Valley College. He then moved to Kirksville, Missouri, where he completed his doctorate in osteopathic medicine from ATSU-KCOM in 1970.

After internship, his first experience in medicine was with the U.S. Navy Seabees in Davisville, Rhode Island, during the Vietnam War. His passion and love for the New England outdoors began there, where he harvested lobsters and bluefish in Narragansett Bay and escaped to the mountains of northern New England to ski. Having completed his stint in the Navy and following his love for the outdoors, Dr. Gardner moved to Maine, where he opened his first practice. In over 40 years of practicing medicine in southern Maine, he had offices in Scarborough and Buxton.

Maine was the perfect environment for a passionate fisherman and hunter, and Dr. Gardner spent countless hours seeking fish and wildlife. In the Gulf of Maine, he fished for stripers, bluefish, mackerel, tuna, and shark. More recently, he pursued winter fishing adventures in the warm waters of Florida, where he successfully landed tarpon, mahi-mahi, snapper, sailfish, and yellowtail. In the woods, his long list of successful hunts included moose, bear, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, fowl, and deer. In his final season of hunting in fall 2017, he harvested a four-point whitetail buck with a crossbow at the Curry farm.

Dr. Gardner also loved playing and watching sports. He was a star high school basketball and football player, and he faithfully stood along the sidelines at sporting events of his children and grandchildren. He religiously followed the New England Patriots and the Boston Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox. He was well known for his generosity to others, touching the lives of many longtime patients and friends. When he had friends who could not afford his outdoor adventures, such as traveling out of state for a fishing or hunting trip, he would bring them along and expect nothing in return.

Over his 40 years of practicing medicine, Dr. Gardner would exercise his generosity by assisting those who needed healthcare, but couldn’t afford it. Late in his career, he had moved toward more patient-oriented care by guaranteeing 30 minutes per visit with his patients. As recently as December, he was making house calls to those who were not mobile and needed medical assistance.

More than anything, Dr. Gardner loved spending time with his family. He is survived by his wife of over 20 years, Denise; his daughter, Kristin Gardner and husband, Jeremy Harder; two sons, Matthew Gardner and Benjamin Gardner and wife, Katie; stepdaughter, Julie Raychard; sister, Betty Osman; and her three children, Chris, Aaron, and Jenny. Grampa, Grampy, or Grampy-Fish was adored by his five grandchildren, Aubrey, Jacob, Elijah, Jackson, and Olivia. As close as family were his longtime employees, Erin O’Donnell and Denine Holmes.


Don P. Gibson, DO, ’64, Winfield, Kansas, died March 8, 2018, at age 78. He was born Dec. 23, 1939, in Wichita, to parents Richard G. Gibson, DO, ’37, and Betty (Lowther) Gibson. He and his twin brother, Benn, grew up in Winfield, graduated from Winfield High School, and attended Southwestern College. Dr. Gibson earned his DO degree at ATSU-KCOM, returning to Winfield to join his father’s general medical practice. He was a proud, third-generation physician who, among other things, delivered many babies. His grandfather was Preston Gibson, DO, 1908. He loved every minute of his 45-year practice. Dr. Gibson also served on the Kansas Board of Healing Arts.

A gifted musician, Dr. Gibson particularly excelled as an organist and cellist. For more than 50 years, he was organist at First Presbyterian Church, in celebration of which he was honored with a “Don Gibson Day” by the mayor of Winfield. He was a veteran performer in the Southwest Kansas Symphony and, after years of participation in Winfield’s annual performances of Elijah, he wrote a widely admired history of that tradition. Southwestern College inducted Dr. Gibson into its Fine Arts Hall of Fame in 2017.

Dr. Gibson married Judy Hayward, and in 1974, they adopted a son, Marty, who had been born in Trinidad. The couple later divorced. Dr. Gibson was a member of First Presbyterian Church, where he also served as a deacon. He loved Winfield and was deeply involved in community activities. More than anything, he cherished his family and loved watching his grandchildren, even cheering them on at wrestling matches and football games.

Dr. Gibson is preceded in death by his parents and sister, Janie Gibson Lewis. Survivors include his son, Marty Gibson; step-daughters, Jenny Gregory (Mike), Libby Elliott (Stephen), and Katie Hayes; grandchildren, Garret Phillip Gibson, Hayden Connor Gibson, Kellen Marlin Gibson, and Renn Laurel Gibson; brother, Benn Gibson (Dr. James Leland); sister, Judy Burke; brother-in-law, James Lewis; nieces, Molly Siegler, Emily Olafsen, and Callaway Burke; nephews, Sean Burke and Tim Burke; and step-grandchildren, Wesley Gregory, Emma Gregory, Nicholas Elliott, Caroline Elliott, Graham Elliott, Kirk Valentino, and Aletka Hayes.


E. Wayne Harbinger, DO, ’62, Albany, New York, died Dec. 25, 2017, at age 80. He was born on May 31, 1937, in Albany, to the late Harold B. and Ethel E. Harbinger (Taffner). He graduated from the Albany Academy, attended Wesleyan University, and received his DO degree from ATSU-KCOM.

Dr. Harbinger retired in 2013, after 50 years in private practice, specializing in musculoskeletal problems. As a proud osteopathic physician, he served in leadership roles for the American Osteopathic Association and the New York State Osteopathic Medical Society, serving as executive director from 1985-98. At the Albany Academy, Dr. Harbinger was team physician for 36 years and initiated a successful and innovative student-trainer program. He also served on the Alumni Board as president and a member of the Board of Trustees. He was awarded Distinguished Alumnus in 2005. He was appointed as chair of the Advisory Council on Physician’s Assistants by Governors Rockefeller, Carey, and Cuomo. He also spent many years coordinating and teaching emergency medical technician and first-aid/CPR programs for the Red Cross, New York State Department of Health, Rensselaer County Ambulance and Rescue Association, and Pittstown Volunteer Emergency Corps. He was also a volunteer for The American Cancer Society and the Red Cross, serving on a number of committees. Dr. Harbinger enjoyed horseracing and spent 50 years in the clubhouse at Saratoga Racecourse with his family and friends. He also owned Harbinger’s Christmas Tree Farm for 30 years before moving to Albany.

Dr. Harbinger is survived by his wife, Joyce (Daudel) Harbinger; children, Kyle (Patty) Harbinger, Kirk (Elaine) Harbinger, and Kelly (Kyle) Tripp; and grandchildren, Robert Harbinger, Kody Harbinger, Cara Harbinger, Kendra Harbinger, Jessica Tripp, and Stratton Tripp.


Thomas J. Havard III, DO, ’74, Bedford, Texas, died Feb. 26, 2018, at age 72. He was born in Lufkin to Thomas Jefferson Havard Jr. and Lois Adams on March 18, 1945. He was the oldest of five children with four younger sisters, whom he adored. His fun-loving personality and quirky sense of humor will always be remembered most among those he knew and loved. He attended primary and secondary school in Lufkin, Corpus Christi, and Boerne. His undergraduate collegiate education was completed at Texas A&M University in College Station. After graduation, he attended medical school at ATSU-KCOM. He completed his medical degree in 1974.

Throughout his career, Dr. Havard worked as a physician in multiple capacities – beginning as a family practitioner as well as an emergency physician in Lufkin. He started a family practice in Lufkin while providing on-call services in emergency medicine and labor/delivery. He also opened several minor emergency clinics in the area. Later in his medical career, he completed a fellowship in addiction medicine and served as the medical director at the La Hacienda Treatment Center in Hunt. Following this, he worked as family practitioner and an emergency physician in Kerrville, where he also served as the medical director for the Emergency Medical Service. After moving to Dallas, he worked as the medical director for a variety of medical facilities until he retired in 2010.

Dr. Havard is preceded in death by his parents, Lois and Thomas Jefferson Havard Jr.; fathers-in-law, Floyd Allen Darr and Estel Goosey; as well as, his great-nephew, Knox Ballantine, and great-niece, Olivia Baum. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Lynda Havard; his son, Thomas (IV) and daughter-in-law, Hollie, and their three children, Skye, Thomas (V), and Emberly; his son, Scott and daughter-in-law, Tina, and their two children, Landon and Phoebe; and his daughter, Lindsey and son-in-law, Bret, and their five children, Boston, Brady, Bryce, Bronco, and Braylon. He is also survived by his sisters, JoLynn (Cliff) Russell, Robin (Randy) Baum, Beth (Skip) Foust, and Lori (Jim) Christensen; as well as his mother-in-law, Lura Goosey; sisters-in-law, Marsha (Lyndell) Eppley and Lisa (Ken) Morton; and numerous nieces and nephews.


Linda S. Haverland, AuD, ’05, Tucson, Arizona, died June 14, 2006, at age 56. She was born Dec. 5, 1949, in Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of Lydia Voltz. She was preceded to the Great Beyond by her sister, Lois. She leaves her daughter, Julie Haines; husband, Graham; son, Ryan Haverland and wife, Deborah; son, Bret Haverland; and granddaughter, Elliana Haines.

Dr. Haverland was beautiful on the inside and out. She lived a life full of love and adventure. Her hobbies were traveling and scuba diving, including recent trips to the Galapagos and South Africa. Her true passion in life came from helping those in need with numerous private contributions. She worked as a scuba diving instructor, teacher, and audiologist. She recently earned her AuD and worked as an audiologist at the Arizona School for the Deaf and Blind.


James N. Johnstone, DO, ’59, Orlando, Florida, died Oct. 25, 2014, at age 89. He was born Aug. 12, 1925, in Lesterville, Missouri. He moved to Orlando in 1960. His children are Neil and Bradley Johnstone and Tory Long. His grandchildren include Kelen, Colton, and Tucker Long and Brittany Johnstone. He was a WWII veteran, serving from 1944-46. In addition, he was a member of Central Florida Mineral & Gem Society. He will be deeply missed.


Robert J. Kromer, DO, ’52, Jacksonville, Florida, died Jan. 22, 2018, at age 90. He was born June 21, 1927, in Kimball, Ohio, to the late Leonard A. and Cecelia (Good) Kromer. Dr. Kromer was a 1945 graduate of Margaretta High School and received his BA from Ohio University in 1948. He received his DO from ATSU-KCOM in 1952.

Dr. Kromer practiced general osteopathic medicine in Sandusky starting in 1953 until his retirement in 1993. He was associated with the former Sandusky Memorial Hospital, later the Firelands Community Hospital, until his retirement. He was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church. He was actively involved with multiple professional and service organizations at the local, state, and national levels. He served as a member of the ATSU Board of Trustees. Additionally, he was a veteran of the U.S. Navy, serving during World War II. In his spare time, he enjoyed traveling, Toft’s Ice Cream, and spending time with his family and friends.

Dr. Kromer is survived by daughters, Kathryn (Gene) Goff, Susan (Deb Wright) Kromer, and Wendy (Scott) Schell; sons, Thomas (Dana), Stephen (Deb Hibjan), and James (Mary Jo) Kromer; 10 grandchildren, Lezlie, Vincent, Joseph, Tim, Audrey, Mitchel, Robert, Francis, Maureen, and Mary; his longtime companion, Martha Ann Yost; sisters, Sister Mary Mona Kromer and Carol Kromer; brother, Charles (Kathy) Kromer; and several nieces, nephews, and other relatives. In addition to his parents, Dr. Kromer is preceded in death by his wife, Joan A. (Avery) Kromer, in 1996; sisters, Marjorie Bauer, Shirley Brown, Ramona Kromer, and Evelyn Zeller; and brothers, Oliver, Johnny, Gilbert, and Russell Kromer.


Anthony J. Mattaline, DO, ’85, Lake St. Louis, Missouri, died Feb. 19, 2018, at age 63. He was the loving husband of 16 years to Karen Mattaline; beloved son of Robert Carmine and Betty Jean Mattaline; devoted father of Robert Mattaline (Ryan Zevchik), Rachel Mattaline, Keith (Sara) Berger, Jessica (Heber) Medrano, and Kevin Berger; cherished grandfather of Alexandria, Isabella, and Morgan; and deareset brother of Daniel (Karen) Mattaline, Helen (Donald) Kaemmerer, Dean (Judy) Mattaline, and Robin Mattaline. Dr. Mattaline is preceded in death by his brother, Garry Mattaline. He proudly served his country in the U.S. Army. He was dearly loved and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.


Jennifer Crockett McDonagh, PhD, PT, Tucson, Arizona, died Nov. 5, 2017, at age 67. She was born in Delano, California, on Nov. 26, 1949, to Mauda (North) and Glen Crockett. She attended Delano High School where she was an honor student and excelled at athletics, holding her school’s swim team record for many years. Dr. McDonagh was selected to attend Girls State and won a California State 4-H Competition at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. She then attended UCLA, graduating in 1971 with a BS in kinesiology. She acquired the research bug and stayed on, working with Reggie Edgerton and earning an MS in 1972. She then moved east to Tucson, and in 1979, earned her PhD degree in physiology at the University of Arizona working with Doug Stuart.

Dr. McDonagh met Paul McDonagh at the University of Arizona, and they were married in 1978. Their first child, John Glen, was born in Tucson in 1979. Together, they sought fame and fortune, as migrant academics. During their journey, Denise Anne was born at Yale-New Haven Hospital in 1980.

In addition to raising two, fine children, Dr. McDonagh worked as a research associate at Texas Tech (1983-87), earned a BS in physical therapy (1989), served on the faculty at the Texas Tech School of Health Sciences (1985-89), and taught physiology at Northeastern University in Boston (1989-91). While at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, she earned the Quest for Excellence Award in 1989. In 1991, they happily returned to Tucson, where Dr. McDonagh worked as a research assistant professor (1992-96), then served as an associate professor of physical therapy (PT) at ATSU-ASHS (1997-2004). At ATSU-ASHS, she taught the Neuroscience course as well as directed and mentored PT students in their research thesis projects. Dr. McDonagh received awards for Outstanding Teaching and the President’s Technology Award (1999) for her innovative use of computers in teaching and mentoring.

Dr. McDonagh has two, fine grandchildren, Kai Brady McDonagh and Charlotte Page Kohrs. She is also survived by her sister, Gwen.


Robert M. Michaud, DO, ’77, Mesa, Arizona, died Dec. 18, 2017, at age 68. He was born July 7, 1949, in Logan, Utah, to Richard Earl and Patricia Merrill Michaud. The oldest of four children, Dr. Michaud and his siblings, Barbara, Kathy, and Jim, were loved of their noble parents and raised in the gospel of Jesus Christ. They lived in many different places due to their father’s military pilot career, including Germany, Utah, California, and Arizona. After the family settled in Mesa, Dr. Michaud graduated from Westwood High. He attended Arizona State University as a freshman and then served in the LDS France/Belgium mission from 1968-70.

Upon returning home, he again attended Arizona State University and then transferred to the University of Washington, where he met and married Lynn Howard. He and Lynn are the parents of six children, five daughters and one son: Jennifer, Suzanne, Heather, Tonya, Amber, and Richard. The family moved often as Dr. Michaud attended medical school at ATSU-KCOM, served his residency in dermatology at the University of Minnesota, and was stationed as a physician at several Air Force bases. The family grieved the childhood death of Richard after an automobile/bicycle accident in 1987. After his son’s death, Dr. Michaud was surrounded by a household of women, a trial that he bore with patience and humor.

He often told his girls, “You each get one vote, but my vote counts for one more than all of you combined.”

Dr. Michaud practiced as a physician for 43 years. He had an extensive knowledge of dermatology and had successful practices in Utah, Alaska, and Arizona. He was a wonderful provider and loved to spoil his family with Christmas presents and vacations. He felt strongly about education, so he encouraged and supported his daughters in attending college. After Dr. Michaud and Lynn’s marriage ended and his girls were grown, another great blessing came into his life when he was reacquainted with a friend from his youth, Rae Richardson Miles. Both being single, they found commonality and then love. In 2001, they were married, sharing 16 beautiful years together. They were always anxious to welcome any of their 12 children and 45 grandchildren into their home, which became a popular place for family get-togethers including regular Sunday dinners and holiday gatherings. They loved and were loved by their children and grandchildren.

Dr. Michaud is survived by wife, Rae; former wife, Lynn; daughters, Jenny (Ben) Smith, Suzie (Craig) Campbell, Heather (Elden) Tolman, Tonya (Michael) Brown, and Amber (Tyler) Leonhardt. He also leaves behind his father, Richard; siblings, Barbara (Clay) Layton, Kathy (Stan) Mead, and Jim (Judy) Michaud, as well as many grandchildren who loved “Grandpa Bob.”


Girard S. Moline, DO, ’95, Jefferson City, Missouri, died Aug. 9, 2017, at age 67. He was born May 29, 1950, in Princeton, Minnesota, to Girard Reuben and Edith Ann (Peterson) Moline. He was married on Feb. 15, 1980, in Carmel, California, to Rima Moline. Dr. Moline was a 1968 graduate of Morristown High School in Morristown, Minnesota, and then attended St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. He went on to graduate from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a bachelor of science in physics on May 25, 1973. He received a master’s degree in engineering from the University of California on June 14, 1985.

Dr. Moline was employed as a systems engineer with Hughes Aircraft primarily working in missile development and design with his work taking him throughout the world, including Iran in 1975. The work in Iran is where he met his future bride, Rima. He was later employed in missile design with Northrop and Ferranti for several years.

Dr. Moline began medical school at age 42 because he became passionate about medicine after learning more of his daughter’s congenital heart defect. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1995 and began his residency at Capital Region Medical Center, which he completed in 1998. He began working for Capital Region Medical Center as a family medicine physician in the Owensville clinic before making the move to what is now the Capital Region Physicians Southwest clinic, where last year he was extremely proud to celebrate his 15th year with the clinic. He spent his Wednesdays at New Horizons as a primary care consultant.

He was a member of Concord Baptist Church and was an active supporter of the American Heart Association. Throughout his life, Dr. Moline always had a thirst for knowledge to further his extensive education. He was an avid reader and loved reading anything regarding anatomy, science, or physics. He was a man with a kind heart and a strong work ethic who loved caring for his patients. Most importantly, he cherished his time with his family, especially time spent with them at their cabin on Lake Superior.

Dr. Moline’s survivors include his wife of 37 years, Rima; three children, Erik Moline, Michael Moline (girlfriend Felicia Triviski), and Lisa Moline (boyfriend Stephen Dreyer); one sister, Gay Martin (husband Jim); three brothers, Gary Moline, Mark Moline (wife Lori), and David Moline; seven nieces and nephews, Susan Bushwar (husband John), Debbie Crane (husband Jeff), Nathan Martin (wife Amanda), Patrick Martin (wife Jamie), Justin Moline (wife Brittany), Jeffrey Moline, and Jessica Boerkel (husband Micah); several great nieces and nephews; and numerous cousins. He was preceded in death by his parents.


Robert J. Moss, AuD, ’00, Kernersville, North Carolina, died Dec. 14, 2017, at age 69. He was born Feb. 19, 1948, in Great Lakes, a son of the late Arthur and Marge Moss. He married Sandra Correll on Dec. 30, 1967, in Elk Grove Village, and she survives.

Dr. Moss received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale and his AuD from the University of Arizona. He earned his transitional AuD from ATSU-ASHS in 2000. He was a longtime resident of Quincy, where he owned and operated Moss Hearing Centers for 38 years. He was a member of Spring Lake Country Club, where he enjoyed playing golf for many years. He and his wife, Sandy, retired to Kernersville, North Carolina, in May 2014 to be closer to their grandchildren.

In addition to his wife, Sandy, Dr. Moss is survived by daughter, Tabatha (Brett) Andrews, and grandchildren, Henry and Max; son, Dax (Danielle) Moss, and grandchildren, Gabrielle and Isabelle; a brother, Bill; and his mother-in-law, Mary Correll.


Robert J. Nemer, DO, ’61, Ashland, Missouri, died May 1, 2017, at age 82. He was born on May 11, 1934, in Winner, South Dakota, the first born son of Frank and Alyce. Dr. Nemer was always driven to excel in athletics and scholastic activities. He served as alter boy and enjoyed and supported the Boy Scouts. He spent his life serving others and providing for his family. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM.

Dr. Nemer had a private practice in Jefferson City from 1961-74 where he provided services throughout mid-Missouri, St Mary’s Hospital, Charles Still Hospital, and Memorial Hospital. He served Jefferson City as chief medical officer for the state penitentiary and Missouri Highway Patrol Academy from 1964-74. From 1974-80, Dr. Nemer established three clinics west of Rolla, Missouri, for the underserved of Vienna, Dixon, and Belle. He also served as a federal aviation examiner for the Western District of Missouri. In 1980, Dr. Nemer and his family moved to Colorado where he built and owned a trauma center near Grand Junction. The family lived on a farm where he enjoyed the outdoors. In 1987, the family moved from Colorado to the Lake of the Ozark for his wife’s parents’ health needs. Dr. Nemer then started to work in the emergency rooms of Fort Leonard Wood, St. Louis, Kansas City, and mid-Missouri Hospitals.

Dr. Nemer and his wife, Beverly, started an ostrich farm near Osage Beach, Missouri, in the 90s and was named Alternative Farm Family of the Year by the Missouri Extension Center. In 1999, Dr. Nemer and Beverly brought lasers to Columbia, Missouri, for therapeutic and cosmetic patient care. Dr. Nemer also served as CLEA laboratory director for the Columbia and St. Louis Plasma Biological Services until 2016.

Dr. Nemer loved the outdoors. He traveled far and wide to participate in big game hunting, fishing, and waterfowling. He also believed in conservation of nature. He loved the arts, classical music, ballet, and theater. Dr. Nemer served others with a giving heart, and his family will miss him dearly. He was a rock they could rely on. His caring and wisdom cannot be replaced; only the love of God can console them.

He was proceeded in death by his parents, Frank and Alyce Nemer. He leaves behind his wife, Beverly De Long Nemer; six children, Jim, Terri, Nicole, Brenda, Julia, and Rachelle; 13 grandchildren; one great-granddaughter; and a brother, Russel Nemer.


Lorraine C. Peissner-Bradshaw, PhD, Walnut Creek, California, died Jan. 27, 2018, at age 99. Dr. Peissner- Bradshaw was born Jan. 15, 1919, on Mayfield St. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Her parents, Charles and Elizabeth Peissner; husband, Charles Bradshaw; brother, Joseph R. Peissner; Charles Peissner and his wife, Betty Peissner; sister, Elsie Telge and her husband, Dr. Harold Telge; niece, Marilyn Feldberg; brother-in-law, John “Jack” Emerick; stepdaughter, Carol Bradshaw Tolsak; and stepson, Ronald Bradshaw, preceded her in death. Her sister, Elizabeth “Betty” Emerick; stepson, Chuck Bradshaw Jr. and his wife, Irene; stepson, Rick Bradshaw; and sister-in-law, Rosemarie Peissner survive her. Many step grandchildren; 21 nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews; her lifelong friend and colleague of 70 years, Beverly Cox, PhD; and her prayer partner and best friend, Joyce Hearn, PhD, also survive her.

Dr. Peissner-Bradshaw had many accomplishments throughout her life. She was the first female international liaison in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, appointed by Bishop McAuliffe of the Jefferson City, Missouri, Diocese. Along with Fred Fritzsinger, she founded the Kirksville Inter-Church Ministries and served as the first president. Dr. Peissner-Bradshaw received her BS from Pennsylvania State University and served as a research assistant. She attended the University of Oklahoma receiving an MS and PhD. She served as a researcher at the Mountain Desert Biological Laboratories, Bar Harbor, Maine, and for the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation.

Before coming to ATSU-KCOM in 1967, Dr. Peissner-Bradshaw was a professor of biology at Central State College at Edmond, Oklahoma. As a faculty member at ATSU-KCOM, she was a professor of physiology, assisted in various research projects for the Physiology department, and assisted the dean of students with counseling and admissions. Her understanding and compassion endeared her to the medical students. In 1992, she was the program chair for the Annual American Osteopathic Association Research Conference held in Kirksville, Missouri. Retiring in 1985, Dr. Lorraine Peissner-Bradshaw was granted emeritus status by the ATSU-KCOM board. The Kirksville Osteopathic Alumni Association Assembly bestowed an Alumnus Honorary Membership on her during the annual meeting held in 1992.

After retirement, Dr. Peissner-Bradshaw moved to California, where she married for the first time, at age 72, to her beloved husband, Charles “Chuck” Bradshaw. The couple traveled the world gaining precious memories along the way. Dr. Peissner-Bradshaw had an extraordinary soul, devoted to Jesus, her family, and friends. Her unconditional love and spirit touched so many, presenting a positive role model and uplifting force among all who were fortunate to cross her path. Her family and friends dearly love her. She lived in the moment, living life to the fullest, enjoying being “on the go.”


H. Dusty Rhodes, DO, ’82, Dayton, Ohio, died Jan. 1, 2018, at age 66. Dr. Rhodes was a graduate of ATSU-KCOM. He was a sports medicine and family practice physician for more than 25 years. He also served as a faculty member for many years at The Berry Family Health Center at Miami Valley Hospital.

He is survived by his wife, Terri; children, Taylor, Micah, Annie, and Mira; two sisters, Alicia (Rabbi David) Nelson and Selena (Dr. Malcolm) Katz; brother, Dr. Clayton (Janice) Rhodes; aunts, Adrienne Haine (Herb) Schoenes and Augusta Szego; and many nieces, nephews, and cousins.


Paul Rieger, DO, ’43, South Portland, Maine, died Nov. 7, 2017, at age 99. He was the son of Earnest and Cecilia (Shaw) Rieger. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, one of eight children. His family moved to Garden City, Long Island, where he graduated from Garden City High School and where he met the love of his life, Jeanne Maguire.

Dr. Rieger attended Union College on a lacrosse scholarship, planning to get a degree to teach physical education. During his second year, he was injured on the lacrosse field. Following a recommendation from a fellow student, he was treated by an osteopathic doctor, and as he liked to tell the story, crawled up the stairs to the appointment and walked out without pain. He was so impressed that he left Union College to prepare himself for medical school. He applied and was accepted by ATSU-KCOM.

Dr. Rieger and Jeanne were married in August 1941. The couple returned to Kirksville, Missouri, to begin married life. He graduated in February 1943. He was licensed to practice in Vermont, West Virginia, Florida, and Maine. When searching for the ideal location to set up a practice and start a family, Dr. Rieger became aware that because of the war, Portland was in great need of doctors. The couple obtained just enough gas ration stamps to drive to Portland. They found a home on the South Portland side of the Million Dollar Bridge, and Dr. Rieger set up his medical practice in Knightsville. Dr. Rieger became a member of the board of the Osteopathic Hospital of Maine. He helped the Osteopathic Hospital to become a major medical resource for the greater Portland area. Dr. Rieger was of the generation of general practitioners who made house calls in the middle of the night, and he had a practice in his home. He helped an impressive number of babies in greater Portland come into the world, in addition to caring for all his other patients.

Dr. Rieger and Jeanne were members of Purpoodock Club in Cape Elizabeth for nearly seven decades. Beginning in 1961, he became instrumental in the design and building of Purpoodock’s back nine, which opened in 1965. It has become recognized as a challenging and beautiful course.

Dr. Rieger is predeceased by his wife, Jeanne. He is survived by his son, Larry; daughters, Rictoria (Priscilla) and her husband, Roger Himalstein, and Patricia and her husband, Xavier Toubes Vilariño. He is also survived by his grandchildren, Tony and Stacy Rieger, Sean and Jessica Himalstein, and Pablo Toubes Rieger.


Jonathan A. Schneider, DO, ’74, Fleming Island, Florida, died March 27, 2018, at age 70. He leaves behind (temporarily) his wife, Susan Schneider; his children, Robert Schneider, Jonathan M. Schneider, and Katherine Vanden Bergh; son-in law, Benjamin Vanden Bergh; and grandson, Noah Vanden Bergh.

Dr. Schneider considered his earthly life to be a journey with a series of deployments in which he was accompanied by the Holy Spirit to serve as his moral, ethical, and spiritual compass. Born to Ruth and David Schneider in New York City on March 29, 1947, he moved 13 times within the eastern U.S., where he completed his primary education. He attended Nasson College in Springvale, Maine, graduating Summa Cum Laude, and subsequently attended ATSU-KCOM, graduating in 1974.

Upon graduation, he served his internship and pediatric residency at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (Virginia), where he remained until 1982 as a staff pediatrician. Katherine, Robert, and Jonathan were born in Portsmouth during that time.

In summer 1982, Dr. Schneider and his family were transferred to Naval Medical Center San Diego, where, in 1987, he successfully completed a fellowship in adolescent medicine. From 1987 until the time he retired from the Navy in 1993, he served as both the hospital’s intern coordinator (88 interns yearly) and as the director of the Transitional Internship Program (22 interns yearly). In 1991, Dr. Schneider was deployed for six months on the USS Peleliu, where he served as the Command Amphibious Task Force surgeon and was responsible for the medical planning for a five-ship task force. He was responsible for the evacuation planning of Clark Air Force Base and Subic Bay Naval Hospital in June 1991 when Mount Pinatubo erupted and forced the evacuation of both bases. Upon his return from deployment, both he and his amphibious-ready group were recipients of multiple awards for their achievements during the six-month period.

In June of 1993, Dr. Schneider retired from the Navy as a captain, having completed a distinguished, highly decorated 20-year career. The same month, he and his family transitioned to civilian life in Orlando, Florida. Once there, he practiced at the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Nemours Children’s Clinics. At every hospital he worked at (in the Navy and in civilian life), he received the Teacher of the Year Award at least once and sometimes several times.

Most important to Dr. Schneider, however, was his involvement in community medicine. He started both mobile health outreach and fixed site school-based health centers for the most needy children and teens, obtaining Partners in Education Awards for the sponsoring hospitals. In 2003, he left Orlando to work at the University of Florida in Jacksonville. His first month in Jacksonville, Dr. Schneider partnered with St. Vincent Hospital to start another mobile health outreach for children and teens, which provides full-service healthcare to 23 middle schools and high schools in Duval County, in addition to providing services to others schools and churches during the summer months. This model program provides free services to all patients and has survived financially through philanthropic gifts, including new mobile units. Dr. Schneider was the medical director for this project at its inception, and when he retired from the university in 2007, he continued to serve in that capacity as a full-time volunteer. He considered this his mission and the best way to serve and glorify God. Dr. Schneider would often say that the most meaningful of awards were the Faith in Action Award from Hands on Jacksonville and an award from St. Vincent Hospital for living out their core values of providing services to those in most need.


Howard L. Thacker, DO, ’80, Eldon, Missouri, died Jan. 27, 2018, at age 66. He was born Aug. 8, 1951, at home in a small house east of Eldon. He was the third of five children and the eldest of three boys. His parents were Roy Thacker and Rosa Thacker.

Dr. Thacker attended K-12 in the Eldon school district and graduated in the top 10 of his class. After high school, he attended Lincoln University. During this time, he attended daytime classes and worked night shifts at the Cheeseborough Ponds factory near Jefferson City. He also joined ROTC and was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood. He graduated with a business baccalaureate degree. This same tenacity and loyalty branched into every role he accepted.

Most knew Dr. Thacker as a physician. He earned his DO degree in 1980 from ATSU-KCOM. Later in 1983, he completed a fellowship at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C., where the world’s most dangerous infectious agents are studied. He completed a strenuous ears, nose, and throat residency in July 1985, then opened his own medical practice in August 1985 in Kirksville.

Dr. Thacker served his patients in many ways. Sometimes he saved lives. Sometimes he removed tonsils. Sometimes he reconstructed damaged faces. Each time, he acted in the patient’s best interest, even if doing so was not the most profitable choice. He frequently provided discount services and was widely sought for his professional expertise and opinion. He retired in December 2000.

Some knew Dr. Thacker as a public servant. His military service started in 1973 with ROTC. He earned the U.S. Army flight surgeon badge, rose to the rank of major, and later served in the U.S. Army Reserve and Missouri National Guard. His medical knowledge and intelligence training proved valuable. In late 1989, he served as the chief medical intelligence officer in Operation Just Cause, during which U.S. forces removed Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega. Later, he earned a Class-B law enforcement license and served as a reserve deputy sheriff in three Missouri counties.

A fortunate few knew Dr. Thacker as a family member. He will be most missed in this family capacity. He is survived by his older sistersm Carolyn and Evelyn; former wife, Sema; sons, Christopher and Jonathan; and grandchildren, Hiroki and Misato.

As an individual, Dr. Thacker enjoyed firearms, languages, his cats, and horticulture as his health and time permitted. His favorite musician was Jimmy Buffett, and his older son would later acquire the same taste. He also loved watching shows such as BBC Top Gear, River Monsters, and western movies with his children. Family and friends sometimes referred to him as a human encyclopedia due to his vast knowledge and the fact that during his youth, he actually read an entire encyclopedia set.


Richard H. Turner, DO, ’52, Portland, Oregon, died April 17, 2016.



Never miss out—get the feed today!