Mo. ° / °
    Ariz. ° / °
    Calif. ° / °

This large space features two of the Museum’s largest artifacts—the Still Family Cabin and the First School Building of the American School of Osteopathy (ASO). Both contain photographs, and artifacts that respectively present interpretive glimpses into the Still family’s frontier life and the earliest years of the ASO. The cabin, built in Lee County, Virginia in the 1820s, and the two-room ASO building, used from 1892-94, were both moved to their present location in 1994 as tangible reminders that Kirksville is the birthplace of the osteopathic profession.

A.T. Still Museum collage

The collections of the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine include more than 80,000 objects, photographs, documents, and books dating from the early 1800s to the present (focused mainly on 1870–1940). The core of the collection consists of artifacts from A. T. Still's professional and private life, most of them donated by Dr. Still's daughter, Blanche Laughlin, and members of her family.

Since the founding of the Museum in 1934, other family members, DOs, and Museum supporters have donated many additional artifacts that reflect the ongoing history of the osteopathic profession. The research collections of the International Center for Osteopathic History (ICOH) also include many former holdings of the A.T. Still Memorial Library, for which the Museum assumed responsibility in 1997.