Preparing for your interview
A.T. Still University’s Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health’s (ATSU-ASDOH) innovative dental education program is a four-year curriculum. In the first two years, students focus on health sciences, clerkships in general dentistry, and dental simulation exercises. In the third and fourth years, students participate in the on-campus clinic and practice in community-based health centers. The school places special emphasis on patient care experiences through simulation, integration of biomedical and clinical sciences, and problem-solving scenarios to achieve clinical experience and includes a strong component of public health, leadership, and practice. In addition to the issues of oral health and the skills of dentistry, students are encouraged to become caring, community-minded healthcare providers. Graduates are expected to be leaders in their communities and managers of public, not-for-profit, and private sector oral health organizations.
ATSU-ASDOH Administration Building
5835 E Still Circle
Mesa, AZ 85206
|Monday interviews||Friday interviews|
|11:00 a.m. ATSU-ASDOH welcome||08:00 a.m. - ATSU-ASDOH welcome|
|11:10 a.m. Dean’s welcome||08:10 a.m. - Dean’s welcome|
|11:35 a.m. Group activity||08:35 a.m. - Group activity|
|12:00 p.m. Lunch and clinic tour||09:00 a.m. - Panel interviews, MMI, and presentations|
|01:00 p.m. Panel interviews, MMI, and presentations||12:00 p.m. - Lunch and clinic tour|
|04:00 p.m. Wrap up and campus tour||01:00 p.m. - Wrap up and campus tour|
Dressing for an interview
- Wear a solid, conservative suit that fits you well. If it is new, be sure to clip the threads that hold the pockets and back plackets together on your jacket or skirt.
- Wear minimal jewelry or accessories. Classic or conservative earrings or necklaces are the best choices.
- Wear minimal perfume or cologne, or none at all. Some people are very sensitive to smells, and an overpowering scent can be distracting, especially if your interview room is small without a lot of ventilation.
- Wear clean, comfortable shoes with a low heel for women, or loafers for men. Make sure you are comfortable walking a lot in them, and can be in them all day without getting sore feet.
- Be up-to-date in your clothing, but not too trendy. The graduate health professions school interview is one that looks for prospective students who will look and be viewed as professional, so you need to look the part.
- For women: Wear conservative tops without plunging necklines and skirts that are not revealing when you bend over or cross your legs. Wear tan or light hosiery with your suit.
- For men: Wear a long-sleeve shirt with a coordinating conservative, traditional tie. Wear dark dress socks that match your suit pants.
- Bring a padfolio with a professional cover to store your notes and papers. It is okay to take notes, so bring a nice pen, as well.
- Make-up should be light and natural, but not too bold or dark in color.
- Make sure your nails are manicured or neatly trimmed. Nails that are painted should be of a conservative length and a neutral color. Nail art or bright paint colors can be distracting.
- Ethnic culture may dictate that cultural dress or head coverings are expected in public settings, and these are fine.
- Leave your earbuds and cell phone in your car.
Traveling to Mesa and ASDOH
While planning your trip to Mesa, view these helpful links to get you started.
Check out conveniently located hotels in the East Valley. It’s important to note that some hotels offer shuttle services to and from the airport and some hotels also have free or nominal charge shuttles to our campus. Please inquire at the hotel of your choice to see if they offer this service.
Residence Inn by Marriott, Phoenix Gilbert
3021 East Banner Gateway Drive
Gilbert, AZ 85234
*ATSU rates & shuttle service – 1.7 mi
La Quinta Inn & Suites, Mesa
6530 E Superstition Springs Blvd
Mesa, AZ 85206
(480) 654-1970 · (800) SleepLQ
*ATSU rates & shuttle service – 2.0 mi
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Phoenix-Gilbert
1800 S SanTan Village Parkway
Gilbert, AZ 85295
*ATSU rates – 6.6 mi
Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa
1011 E Holmes Ave
Mesa, AZ 85210
*ATSU corporate rates (2649968) – 8.68 mi
Days Hotel by Wyndham, Mesa
333 W Juanita Ave
Mesa, AZ 85210
8.8 mi from campus
Courtyard Marriot, Phoenix Mesa
1221 South Westwood Ave
Mesa, AZ 85210
Close to the Airport
*ATSU rates & shuttle service – 10.61 mi
Hyatt Place Phoenix/Gilbert
3275 South Market Street
Gilbert, AZ 85297
10.9 mi from campus
Subway: SW corner of Power and Baseline/ Baseline and Higley
Quizno’s: Baseline West of Val Vista (north side) / Higley and Southern
Honeybaked Ham: NW corner of Power and Baseline
Arby’s: Baseline west of Val Vista (south side)
Nelson’s Frozen Yogurt: SW corner of Power and Baseline
Panda Express: NE corner of Power and Baseline Baseline west of Val Vista (north side)
Samurai Sam’s: SW corner of Power and Baseline beside Starbucks
Kyoto Bowl: NW corner of Power and Baseline
China Pearl: Val Vista and Baseline (shopping center on south side)
China Lite: Val Vista and Baseline (shopping center of NE side)
Pei Wei: Val Vista and Baseline (shopping center on NW side)
Rubio’s Baja Grill: NW corner of Power & Baseline
Baja Fresh: Baseline Rd west of Val Vista (north side)
El Pollo Loco: Power Rd b/w Baseline and US 60 (east side)
Mi Amigo’s: Southern Ave west of Power
On the Border: Superstition Springs & Power
Serranos: East side of Power Rd. past Southern
Streets of New York: Val Vista b/w Baseline and US 60 (east side) Superstition Springs Blvd west of Power Rd (north side)
Nick & Willy’s: Val Vista b/w Baseline and US 60 (west side)
Pasta Pomodora: Shopping area east of Power, north of Southern
Pizzeria Uno: Superstition Springs Rd east of Power (south side)
Godfather’s: Power just north of 60 (east side)
Olive Garden: Southern west of Power (south side)
Carrabas: Clearfield north of Superstition Springs (behind Harkins Theater)
Sahara Cafe: SE corner of Val Vista and Baseline
Red Lobster: Southern west of Power
Outback Steakhouse: Clearfield north of Superstition Springs (behind Harkins Theater)
Black Angus: Hampton east of Power
Souper Salad: Hampton east of Power (north side)
TGI Friday’s: Power Road b/w Baseline and US 60 (east side)
Chili’s: Power and Hampton
Applebee’s: Southern west of Power (south side)
Crabby Dons: Val Vista and Baseline (in shopping center on south side)
Fuddrucker’s: Southern west of Power
Country Kitchen: Southern west of Power
5 & Diner: Southern west of Power
Buster’s: Superstition Springs west of Power (north side)
Red Robin: Superstition Springs west of Power (north side)
Ruby Tuesday’s: inside Superstition Springs Mall
Denny’s: Power and mall entrance
IHOP: Power south of Baseline (east side)
Coco’s: Power and Hampton
The Good Egg: Val Vista and Baseline
Burger King: Power north of Baseline (east side)
McDonald’s: SW corner of Higley and Baseline
Taco Bell: SE corner of Val Vista and Baseline
Arby’s: South on Power (west side)
Wendy’s: Power and Hampton
Sonic: Baseline east of Power
KFC/A&W: Baseline east of Power
Jack in the Box: Power and Baseline (northeast corner)
When flying into Phoenix, you have two conveniently located airport options:
Directions to campus
T&T Airport Service offers a $120.00 roundtrip special with a meet and greet service from Sky Harbor to your hotel, transportation from the hotel to ATSU, and transportation from ATSU back to Sky Harbor.