Students’ education in years two through four will be based at one of the 11 select Community Campuses across the country. The second year is spent in these Community Campuses in small group settings, learning additional clinical presentations, observing patient care, and gaining an understanding of the local health system and community health practices. Third- and fourth-year students will complete their clinical rotations at their Community Campuses, associated hospitals, as well as with affiliated healthcare providers and at select healthcare institutions. Osteopathic principles and practices are integrated throughout the curriculum, and the osteopathic manipulative treatment program is designed for primary care applications. This provides distinctive training in the value of healing touch in patient care.
ATSU is partnering with the following Community Health Centers and safety-net providers for Community Campuses:
- Lutheran Family Health Centers
- Beaufort-Jasper-Hampton Comprehensive Health Services, based in Beaufort, SC (north of Hilton Head), and serving rural, suburban and ethnic populations in the low-country region of South Carolina.
- HealthSource of Ohio, based in Milford, OH (east of Cincinnati), and serving rural, farming, ethnic, religious and Appalachian communities across southern Ohio.
- North Country Healthcare, based in Flagstaff, AZ, and serving isolated and ethnic populations in rural northern and eastern Arizona.
- Adelante Healthcare, based in the Phoenix Arizona area, serving communities in central Arizona and the Southwest.
- El Rio Community Health Center, based in Tucson, AZ, and serving urban, suburban, ethnic, HIV, and homeless constituents in and around Tucson.
- Family HealthCare Network, based in Visalia and Porterville, CA (Community Health Center is located in Visalia) is located south of Fresno and serves suburban and farm-worker populations in the valley at the base of Yosemite National Park.
- NWRPCA Campus - (Northwest Regional Primary Care Association), a regional model with the classroom based in Portland, Oregon, serving rural and urban community health centers throughout Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.
- HealthPoint (formerly Community Health Centers of King County), serving urban, suburban, émigré and ethnic populations in the county east and south of Seattle, WA.
- NearNorth Health Service Corporation based in Chicago, IL provides health care, social services and nutrition education to the medically indigent and uninsured residentsof the inner-city Chicago area.
- Unity Healthcare, based in Washington, D.C., serving urban, suburban, ethnic, HIV, older adult and homeless populations.