5th Annual Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Symposium
Congratulations, winners of the 5th Annual IBRS ATSRI Awards for Outstanding Research Poster. Pictured from left to right: Brian Degenhardt, DO, Director of the A.T. Still Research Institute; AJ Baillargeon, DO, Internal Medicine Resident at NERMC and KCOM Alumnus; Jessica Lapinski, KCOM Medical Student; Joshua Moody, KCOM BioMed Student, Nicholas Musso, KCOM Medical Student; and Neil Sargentini, PhD, Department Head of Microbiology and Immunology.
On November 1, 2013, the A.T. Still Research Institute (SRI) and A.T. Still University (ATSU) hosted the 5th Annual Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Symposium (IBRS), which gives students, residents, faculty, and regional researchers the opportunity to present their current biomedical research and provides a foundation for promoting collaborative biomedical research with the SRI. Over one hundred faculty, students, and staff from regional colleges, universities, and institutions including ATSU, Truman State University (TSU), and University of Missouri-Columbia (MU) attended or participated in the event, consisting of oral presentations, a keynote presentation, and poster presentations.
The IBRS opened with Margaret Wilson, DO, Dean of Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM) and Neil Sargentini, PhD, IBRS Program Chair and Department Head of Microbiology and Immunology - KCOM, welcoming attendees and oral presenters. The eight oral presenters’ discussions highlighted scholarship activity completed by faculty and students at multiple institutions:
- Paul AJ Baillargeon, KCOM Alumnus and NERMC resident, Influence of Bevacizumab on colorectal cancer mortality.
- Erin Cohen, TSU undergraduate student and ATSRI Clinician Researcher Development Program intern, Progression of osteoarthritis post-destabilization in a female rat model.
- Mathew Springer, KCOM BioMed student, Effect of the ClpPC protease system in the formation of persister cells in Staphylococcus aureus
- Wesley Hodges, TSU undergraduate student, Molecular simulations of viral leukemia protein-RNA interactions
- Nicholas Musso, KCOM-OMS student, A role for the dorsal dentate gyrus in color context pattern separation
- Maththew Strope, MU undergraduate student, The influences of physical activity on bone mineral density: A study on the active prevention of osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Peter Park, KCOM-OMS student and ATSRI Clinician Researcher Development Program intern, Peripheral skin blood flow changes following different controlled cervical osteopathic mobilizations: A pilot study
- Jessica Lapinski, KCOM -OMS Student and Academic Fellow, Examining the Doctor-Patient Relationship: Clinical Rotations and Healthcare Delivery for LGBT Patients
Craig Phelps, DO, President of ATSU, and Brian Degenhardt, DO, Director of the A.T. Still Research Institute and Assistant Vice President of Osteopathic Research welcomed the community and keynote speaker panel. The keynote address, presented by Andrea Amalfitano, DO, PhD, Michigan State University; Lucinda Fultton, MS, The Genome Institute, Washington University; and Robert Fulton, MS, The Genome Institute, Washington University; discussed the impact genomics and genetic testing has on the decisions we make about our healthcare.
Research Poster Presentations
During the afternoon session, 35 posters were presented by faculty, students, staff, and researchers from regional institutions . Poster presentations displayed scholarship in musculoskeletal, renal disease, wellness, cardiovascular disease, cancer biology, healthcare delivery, infectious diseases, medical education, and neuroscience. Selected abstracts include
- Impact of Diabetes on Microvascular PO2 in the Rat Soleus After Chronic Femoral Artery Ligation. Talon J. Anderson, MS; Ladonna Shaffer, BS; and William L. Sexton, PhD
- Comparison of Bone Density Measures on the Sahara Bone Sonometer and the DXA. Kathryn M. Bollman, and Michael Bird, PhD
- Progression of Osteoarthritis Post-Destabilization in a Female Rat Model. Cohen EL, Ruhlen RL, Marberry KM, Pazdernik VK, Kondrashov PE, Cramberg M, Howard ML
- The Effects of Gender and Female Sex Hormones on Post-traumatic Osteoarthritis. Ginsburg ZN, Ruhlen RL, Kondrashov PE, Marberry KM
- Isolation and Characterization of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Derived from Rabbit Umbilical Cords. Raja Shekar Rachakatla, PhD and Drew Perugino
- Impact of Exercise and Insulin on Microvascular PO2 in the Diabetic Rat Soleus After Chronic Femoral Artery Ligation. William L. Sexton, PhD; Ladonna Shaffer, BS; and Talon J. Anderson, MS
- Paleo-Prosthetics, a surgical guide to Reconstructing a Mosasaur. Bruce Young, PhD
- Concomitant Protective and Therapeutic Role of Verapamil in Chronic Mercury Induced Nephrotoxicity in the Adult Rat: Histological, Morphometric and Ultrastructural Study. Nabila Yousef Abdel Haleem, Hoda Mahmoud El-Aasar, Sherif Mohamed Zaki, Sherif Mohamed Sabry Hassan, and Ahmed Wafiq El-Zainy
- Variation in Weight and Hydration of College Wrestlers During and After a Competitive Season. Hailey M. Benoist, David Schutter, and Jerry L. Mayhew
- Alterations in Physical Fitness of Medical Students during Their First 2 Years. Melissa A. Jenson, Anissa Angelosante, Lynda Cosgrove, Dan Martin, D. Fred Peterson, and Jerry L. Mayhew .
- Insulin-Induces Adipogenesis in Immortalized MEF Cells. Brett B Holdaway, BA; Chaitasi Y Naik BS; Yingzi Chang, MD, PhD
- Demonstration of Increased Vascular Characteristics Using Bilateral, Multi-Parameter Sensors, Following Controlled Vertebral Osteopathic Medical Treatment. Deborah M. Heath, DO; Inder Raj S. Makin, MD, PhD; Chandhana Pedapati, BS; T. Douglas Mast, PhD
- KV Currents in Identified Muscle Afferents. Renuka Ramachandra, PhD and Keith S. Elmslie, PhD
- Long Term Doppler Signal Acquisition and Rapid Signal Characterization for a Peripheral Flow Assessment System. Inder Raj S. Makin, MD, PhD; Chandi Pedapati, BS; and Deborah M. Heath, DO
- The Role MCPIP-1 in Maintaining Lipid Homeostasis. Joshua D. Moody, BS; Jessica D. Sedinkin, BS; Yingzi Chang, MD, PhD
- Peripheral Skin Blood Flow Changes Following Different Controlled Cervical Osteopathic Mobilizations: A Pilot Study. Rafael Zegarra-Parodi, DO (England); Vanessa K. Pazdernik, MS; Peter Yong Soo Park, BSHS, OMS II; Natalie R. Shurtz, MHA; Steve Webb, BA, BS; Brian F. Degenhardt, DO
- What Influence has Sunitinib had on Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma (mRCC) Survival? Paul A.J. Baillargeon, DO; John H. Grider, Sr, DO; Jane C. Johnson, MA; Anders Messersmith, OMSIV
- Influence of Bevacizumab on Colorectal Cancer Mortality. Paul A.J. Baillargeon, DO; John H. Grider, Sr., DO; Jane C. Johnson, MA; Nick Hopson, OMSIV
- Differential Effects of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) between Mouse and Human Melanoma Cell Lines. Kumud Joshi, BS and Pandurangan Ramaraj, PhD
- Recognition of radA Ochre Mutants by RadA/Sms-Specific Monoclonal Antibodies. Melissa K. Stuart, PhD; Deborah A. Hudman, MS; Michael D. Pisano; Jacob L. Hiatt, MS; Neil J. Sargentini, PhD
- Novel Mutations in Escherichia coli that Increase the UV Radiation Survival of a uvrA Strain. Quynh V. Duong; Deborah A. Hudman, MS; and Neil J. Sargentini, PhD
- Examining the Doctor-Patient Relationship: Clinical Rotations and Healthcare Delivery for LGBT Patients. Jessica Lapinski, OMS-III and Patricia S. Sexton, DHEd
- Effect of the ClpPC Protease System in the Formation of Persister Cells in Staphylococcus aureus. Matthew T. Springer and Neal R. Chamberlain
- ATP Synthase: A Molecular Drug Target for Dietary Polyphenols#. Melissa Tran, Mumeenat Winjobi, and Zulfiqar Ahmad, PhD
- Role of α-Subunit VISIT-DG Sequence Residues in the Catalytic Sites of Escherichia coli ATP Synthase#. Mumeenat Winjobi, Myra Garcia Hernandez, and Zulfiqar Ahmad, PhD
- Molecular Simulations of Viral Leukemia Protein-RNA Interactions. Wesley T. Hodges, Meggie T. Hoffman, and Maria C. Nagan, PhD
- A Progressive Teaching Model to Evaluate Pelvic Landmark Localization by Medical Students Blake Hood OMSIV; Ben Cook OMSIV; Melissa Kuehl OMSIII; Sam Engemann, OMSIV; Vanessa Kvam, MS; Natalie Shurtz, MHA; Ken Pamperin, MS; Brian Degenhardt, DO
- LGBTQ Acceptance in Osteopathic Medical Schools. Jessica Lapinski, OMS-II; Patricia S. Sexton, DHEd; and Lauren Baker
- Effect of Change in Camera Depth on DCMS Methodologies. Gregory L. Schuman, Zachary J. Treat, and Brian F. Degenhardt, DO
- The Analgesic Effect of α9/10 Toxins Does Not Involve Activation of GABAB Receptors. Andrew Wright, BS; James C. Baxter, MS;.and Keith S. Elmslie, PhD
- Does Agomelatine Have Antidepressant Action? Michael Young, BIS; David Middlemas, PhD
- A Role for the Dorsal Dentate Gyrus in Color Context Pattern Separation. Nicholas D. Musso and Raymond P. Kesner, PhD
- The Effect of Chronic Corticosterone-Induced Treatment in Pre- and Post-Pubescent Female Rats. Tyler R. Nickle, BS and David S. Middlemas, PhD