SOMA Purpose Statement
To prepare excellent osteopathic physicians to serve the health care needs of society
As an osteopathic medical School devoted to excellence, we value:
- Learning centeredness
- The whole person (Body, Mind and Spirit)
Leadership in Community Health - SOMA will strive to accomplish goals in the areas of teaching, research and service. The faculty of SOMA will:
- Use Best Evidence Medical Education (BEME) to pursue innovative approaches to learning.
- Model the knowledge, skills and behaviors of successful osteopathic physicians.
- Be scholars in the discipline of medical education.
Research and Scholarship
- Engage in medical education research.
- Investigate innovative strategies for health care delivery including a focus on inter-disciplinary and inter-professional team practice.
- Collaborate with the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM) to advance knowledge in the biomedical sciences, and clinical medicine, and osteopathic principles and practices.
- Work with all clinical affiliates to promote and provide distinctive osteopathic health care including osteopathic manipulative medicine.
- Will seek to improve health in underserved communities through its partnership with its community campuses.