ASDOH Alumni Chapter Bylaws
The mission of the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH) Alumni Chapter is to support ASDOH and ATSU and to encourage beneficial relationships with ASDOH, ATSU and its alumni.
The ASDOH Alumni Chapter will provide opportunities for networking and collaboration between the various college alumni chapters and develop cross-campus and interdisciplinary programs or events to support ATSU including:
- Financial Support – To help raise funds for ASDOH.
- Recruitment Support – To assist the ATSU Admissions Office in the recruitment and mentoring of prospective students. This would include participation in the Alumni Ambassador Program.
- Activity Support – To provide support for ATSU
- Volunteer Efforts – Participate with ATSU annual campaigns, volunteer work, and provide contacts/resources for cultivation of donors and friends for ATSU.
The ASDOH Alumni Chapter will serve as the voice of alumni as it reports on activities and initiatives of each alumni chapter to the ATSU Alumni Association.
Article I - Name
The name of this organization is Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH) Alumni Chapter, herein after referred to as the “ASDOH Alumni Chapter”.
Article II - Board Membership
Membership in this Chapter shall consist of all graduates of ASDOH and other persons who meet the requirements as prescribed by the Bylaws of the ATSU Alumni Association and the ASDOH Alumni Chapter. Each graduate will be awarded membership in the ATSU Alumni Association and the ASDOH Alumni Chapter.
Honorary Membership in the Alumni Chapter may be conferred by specific action of the Chapter Board of Directors upon persons who have rendered meritorious service to ASDOH, the Alumni Chapter, and/or health sciences. An honorary member shall not hold elective office or be a voting member of the Alumni Chapter.
Article III - Expenditures
On site meeting expenditures will be coordinated by the ATSU Alumni Services Office. It is the responsibility of the ASDOH Alumni Chapter Board Members to pay for expenses, including travel, overnight accommodations and meals. These expenses can be credited to the member’s gift income record at the University. This gift is in addition to any pledge of support the member might have with ATSU.
Article IV - Alumni Chapter Board of Directors and Members and their Duties
The Board of Directors of the Alumni Chapter shall consist of 3 representatives for the charter year and 5 members per year thereafter. The term of membership shall be for two years, with no more than two terms consecutively. The terms begin on July 1 and expire on June 30th of the second year. Vacancies in elective offices shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term by appointment by the chair, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
Officers will consist of the Chair and Vice Chair. Officers shall be elected to a one year term. At the end of their term, officers may extend their term another year at the request of the ASDOH Alumni Chapter. Election of officers will take place in the spring and officers will start their term on July 1 of that year. The elections will take place via email, regular mail, or cast ballot and coordinated by the ATSU Alumni Services Office.
The Chair will preside at the Chapter Board meetings and shall be an ex officio member of any Chapter Board committees. The Chair shall be responsible for a clear and full statement of the business to be conducted at any regular or special meeting of the Chapter Board and shall perform the usual duties of a presiding officer, including the appointment of committees, in keeping with these Bylaws and parliamentary procedure. The Chair will also be a member of the ATSU Alumni Association Board. In the absence of the Chair, the Chair will appoint a chapter board member to represent him/her.
The Chair will appoint Committee Chairs to the Financial Support, Recruitment Support, Activity Support, and Volunteer Efforts Committees.
In the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair shall preside at meetings of the Chapter Board. In the event the Chair is unable, for any reason, to complete the term of office, the Vice Chair will assume the duties of Chair until a Chair has been duly elected.
Article V - Voting
- Voting will be done by email, standard ballot or voice.
- A majority vote of the Alumni chapter Board members present is needed to pass all motions. The Chair votes only in the case of a tie.
- The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the ASDOH Alumni Chapter Board in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the by-laws of the ATSU Alumni Association and any other special rules of order the ATSU Alumni Association may adopt.
Article VI - Resignation, Replacement and Removal of Board Members and Members
In the event that an ASDOH Alumni Chapter Board Member is unable to uphold his/her duties for academic, professional or personal reasons, that person shall submit a formal written resignation to the Chair of the Alumni Chapter prior to resigning.
In the event of a vacancy in the office of the Chair, the Vice Chair shall assume the role of the Chair. In the event of vacancy in any other position, a new Board Member nomination and election shall occur at the next meeting of the board.
If any Board Member misses two consecutive meetings without advance consent from the Chair of the Alumni chapter, that Board Member will be replaced and their respective alumni chapter shall appoint a new representative.
Article VII - Meetings
Each year, an Annual Meeting of the ASDOH Alumni Chapter Board shall occur at a location determined by the University. The ATSU Alumni Services Office will provide administrative support for all meetings.
Article VIII - Amendments
Amendments to the Bylaws shall be coordinated by the Chair of the Alumni chapter and follow the procedure:
- The Alumni Chapter Board member presenting the proposed amendment shall contact the Chair of the Alumni Chapter Board or the ATSU Alumni Services Office so that they proposed amendment can be added to the agenda for the next meeting. The Alumni Chapter Board will receive written notice of the proposed amendment with the meeting agenda at least seven days prior to the Annual Meeting.
- The Alumni Chapter Board member presenting the proposed amendment shall attend the next Alumni chapter meeting and propose the amendment both orally and in writing. The proposed amendment shall be sent to the ATSU President for approval. If approved by the President of ATSU, the proposed amendment shall be voted on during the Annual lMeeting at which it is presented.
Article IX - Committees
The Alumni Services Office in consultation with the Chair of the Alumni Chapter, will appoint committee chairs to include the: Financial Support Committee, Recruitment Support Committee, Activity Support Committee and the Volunteer Efforts. Committee Chairs are appointed on an annual basis during the spring with terms beginning on July 1.
Contact Alumni Services if you have questions or need more information.